**** DONE: 1/48 JM-1 Marauder - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Superglue, files and sanding and you will be good in no time George....and there was more room on the tail feathers for some extra clamps! :D

P.G. bound for the weekend so not much is going to get done. Though I used accelerator on the super glue when I flooded the insides of the nacelle, I've never used it to fill and file. How long do I wait before filing and how long is too long to wait before filing? I don't mind mudding but there are some serious seams on a large model and I would like to work as quick as possible when I get home tomorrow.

Geo

Looks like the moulds have suffered over the years, or perhaps a change of plastic (mine was moulded in dark olive green plastic)?
The only fit problems I recall were the 'cone' on the rear of the nacelle, although only a slight gap, and the tops of the engine cowlings, again fairly minor. I seem to recall also that the tail-plane needed a bit of persuasion and a touch of filler too, but again nothing serious.

Thanks Terry. I did have to hollow out the cone a tad and file the sides to get a better fit. Off to P.G. to get some Chrome Yellow, among other things.

Geo

Looks like a struggle George but you'll get'er done.
As far as using superglue for filling, make sure it is the medium or thick stuff, apply it, hit with the kicker. Wait 2or3 seconds and wipe it off and start in with the file. I usually try to finish the filing with in an hour. Deffently don't wait until the next day, and also try to get any sanding done that day. I will usually fill an area several times. Fill then file to the finished level, then hold it up to the light, low areas will be shiny. Fill those areas and file again and take a look. Repete if need be. It sounds like a lot of work but it isn't and goes very quick with the kicker. I could do the a small area in the time it took me to type this

Good info there Glenn. I used to hate using CA glue as a filler until I realized I could hit it with kicker then start sanding right away. I used to hate trying to fill seams, now it is at least tolerable. Just don't wait too long or the glue will become to hard to sand without destroying the plastic.

Hey George, did you buy stock in Bondo, and Harbor Freight? I think it is paying off, you must have got the same 25 pice clamp set I did but you used more then me. This is one of Monograms nightmares this and the 1/48 P-38. Looking good you got it like a pro.

Thanks guys and thanks Glenn, I'll try that on my next project; old habits are hard to break...

001.JPG

She is a bear Don but with several Hobbycraft builds under my belt, this doesn't faze me anymore. Setting up the wing spars. Test fitting show those gaps are not there, I just want to make sure the spars are aligned.

002.JPG

I searched the web over for proper sized tail letters/numbers but in the end, I'll make my own.

Geo

Thanks Wayne. Right wing pretty much done, 3 small spots to redo. Left wing no where nears as bad, the rear has since been glued and mudding will commence shortly. Engines are painted and drying. I didn't want to install these and the cowlings yet but I've read that the intakes may be my next problem area one: one builder saying he had 2 days of filing and fitting. After this, I'll add weights and the small windows, then close up the fuselage.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Geo

Thank you Wojtek. Started gluing the left wing halves together and the fit is much better here as well.....odd. The engines, not much detail but not much will be seen later.

003.JPG

Geo

Thank you Wojtek and Andy. Prepping for the nose weight, plastic angle iron and the always dependable "Walmsley Associates" business card.

005.JPG

Did a dry run on one of the engines intakes and the fit wasn't that bad so that's the next step. There's enough room in the cowlings for more weight if needed. I hope to have the wings on tonight.

Geo

Looking good Geo. Apart from the cowling joints I mentioned earlier, I remember having a slight fit and gap problem on one intake, but it was taken care of without too much hassle.

Good going Geo! I'm sure you noticed that little pucker of a sink mark below the business card!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back