**** FINISHED: 1/48 MiG-3 "Black 12" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Username: JKim
First name: John
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Trumpeter
Model Type: MiG-3 (Late)
Aftermarket addons: Quickboost Landing Gear Covers, Eduard Canopy Masks

My subject is Black 12 of the 120th IAP of the Moscow Air Defense, possibly flown by ace, Sergey Rubtzov.

Mandatory Photos:
JTK_6360_zpsjqduqait.jpg

JTK_6363_zpsyxrc7aqi.jpg

JTK_6364_zpsw7gjo8xu.jpg

JTK_6366_zps6odq5dic.jpg

JTK_6369_zpspl3jmasl.jpg

JTK_6358_zps9qwi6s0d.jpg

Optional Photos:
JTK_6375_zpssnaoucyp.jpg

JTK_6383_zpssrkkijj0.jpg

JTK_6378_zpsnxmlytjo.jpg

JTK_6373_zpsts7zzoqt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! The Trumpeter kit went together very well. Excellent fit throughout the build. The clear parts are some of the clearest I've seen outside of vacuform. The rivet detail is a bit on the heavy side in my opinion but it does form some contrast to the smooth wood sections. I don't like Trumpeter's treatment of the fabric covered control surfaces but on the plus side, it is much easier to remove detail than to add it. Overall, I really enjoyed this kit and would build another Trumpeter kit if the opportunity presents itself.

Thank you everyone!

Great job! Your pre-shading technique really gives some depth to what could otherwise be a boring finish. She really looks great!

That was definitely my intention with the pre-shading. I will be exploring this technique more in the future.

Well John,

Outstanding to say the least.

Nice journey and I'm glad you allowed me to tag along.

Stolen photos and all, including these last ones.

I'll be watching.

Blacklist.

Oh! And don't go out and buy the Lindberg, 1/48 Junkers JU87 Stuka. Trust me.

Thank you gentlemen!

Well John,

Outstanding to say the least.

Nice journey and I'm glad you allowed me to tag along.

Stolen photos and all, including these last ones.

I'll be watching.

Blacklist.

Oh! And don't go out and buy the Lindberg, 1/48 Junkers JU87 Stuka. Trust me.

My pleasure! Thanks again for your help and generosity during this build. The "12" looks great! I will make sure I avoid that Lindberg kit!

Hi John!

Very well done! Nice representation of the MiG-3. Your metal finish i beautiful. Good and surprising use of the decals. These don't exist in 1:48. So its a challange to get it right.

Hi John!

Very well done! Nice representation of the MiG-3. Your metal finish i beautiful. Good and surprising use of the decals. These don't exist in 1:48. So its a challange to get it right.

Thanks! I elected to go with no stars on the wings based so that required less decals than normal. Luckily, Blacklist provided me with vinyl masks for the number "12", which worked out perfectly. Otherwise I would have had to cut out masks myself and the test masks I did were not as clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back