**** DONE: 1/48 P-39 Airacobra - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
User Name: fubar57
Name: George
Category: Advanced
Kit: Revell
Accessories: Some wire, seat belts, decals.

My subject is a P-39Q Zebra Training aircraft, used to train air-gunners. This was the forerunner to the P-63 Pinball aircraft. I'll be doing the center aircraft.

p-39q.JPG

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
The kit was made in '83 and the decals in 2009. There is some flash and some of the details are soft but this is going to be more of an exercise in painting. The beauty of this kit is it can be made into a P-400, P-39D and a P-39Q

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
009.JPG

As I am going to be modeling the center aircraft, I'm wondering in anyone has better eyes and can tell me if there is an antenna mast on it as on the upper and lower aircraft. I know that not all P-39Qs carried them.

Geo

P.S. I have a second kit and Jan has already been sent the #13 decals.

Thanks guys. Good eyes Terry and much better photo Wojtek. Found another version of the stripes online but I couldn't make out what was going on around the serial numbers, large shadow?

p-39-1.JPG

I'll stand by my original choice.

Geo

First, the colour photo is a different style of finish to the aircraft you're doing. But I've had a look at the pic and lightened it, and it looks like that 'shadow' might be a tarpaulin over the tail. There's very little detail showing, but the triangular 'shadow' is very dense and positive, probably too much so for a shadow, and there is what appears to be possibly a rope and knot under the fuselage, corresponding with where the edge of the 'tarp' would be.

Gawd knows, Wojtek. I find a photo on the net, download it, and never remember to bookmark or make note of the site it was on. I believe there is an aerial view of a similar aircraft but with diagonal stripes on the wings. Where? I haven't a clue. Anyhoo....wings in bondage.

006.JPG

Geo

Gawd knows, Wojtek. I find a photo on the net, download it, and never remember to bookmark or make note of the site it was on. I believe there is an aerial view of a similar aircraft but with diagonal stripes on the wings. Where? I haven't a clue. Anyhoo....wings in bondage.

OK.

Thanks Guys. I just hope I can do the scheme some justice Andy. Besides the bleed under, my biggest concern is the white paint coverage. I'm test driving two new white paints, Vallejo and Citadel. I'll blast the model with a white primer spray bomb first. I've decided to close up all the panels because, A) I won't be able to load up the nose with lead shot and still keep the panel off, 2) trying to add detail to the molded engine inside the starboard fuselage will be a pain in the keester. I tacked it on with Ambroid ProWeld and then flooded the seam on the inside with Gorilla glue. I'll remove the nubs once it sets up...

001.jpg

...I also hate having to add the exhausts at this stage.

Geo

Looking good so far Geo. Which way do the exhausts fit? It might be possible to adapt them to be fitted later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back