**** DONE: 1/48 P-47N Expected Goose - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I change the paper I put them up for sale for $50 a crack to pay for my modeling addiction. Any takers?
:lol:

Probably sell a few down the Kings Road in Chelsea Glenn !
It would be a good laugh if you framed a few, put them on show in a local art gallery, and stood back and listened to the comments from the so-called art critics!
You'd probably hear the biggest load of b*ll*cks you'd ever heard in your life!

I did some detail painting and a wash for the cockpit when I came home from work tonight.

P4010715.JPG
P4010716.JPG
P4010717.JPG
P4010718.JPG
P4010719.JPG

Last edited:
As I was working on the cockpit parts I was a also reworking the engine. The P-47M and P-47N used the P&W R-2800 C-series engine which had a completely different shaped reduction gear housing. Unfortunately the kit engine has the earlier model engine so I decided to modify it. The earlier 2800 as supplied with the kit has rounder, bullet shaped to it wile the C-series engine had a more can shape to it with a lot of bolts holding it together.

The series of pictures show the modification as I worked on it with putty, needle file and a fine drill. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic before I started. I was going to add ignition wires but there is nothing molded on the engine for the ignition ring so there's nothing to drill the wires into. so I think I'm going to take a pass on that this time.
P4020724.JPG
P4010720.JPG
P4010722.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Not great, but close enough to give the impression of a C-series engine.

Terry, if you're going to do an M, I would try to pick up the Tamiya kit. The Tamiya P-47s have the reduction gear housing molded at a separate part and the M kit has the proper shaped housing included along with other parts specific to the M. It's an expensive kit but a dream to build and can be found in eBay at a reasonable price if you look long enough. I think I paid $30 including shipping for mine but I had to look for it quite a wile.

tamiya-republic-p47m-thunderbolt.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn. If I do make a 'M', I'll use the old Monogram kit, and parts from the spares box for the fin fillet (if fitted) and a spare engine. Or modify the casing on the kit engine. Haven't decided yet whether to do a 56th FG bird, or a RAF Burma kite - just to have a change from NMF finishes on the other P-47 models!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back