**** DONE: 1/48 P-47N Expected Goose - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stars and bars too small. Goose emblem too small. Stenciled letters wrong. Number missing from the lower front cowl. Line of the anti-glare in front of the windscreen wrong. Looks like the only thing that's close is the nose art.
It amazes me that we spent so much time and effort researching and painting these little models, then the guys that are doing the real thing for a museum display do something like this when by just looking closely at those two B/W photos they could have made it look 100% better with hardly any extra effort.

Last edited:
I agree, and find it rather irritating. The main thing seen 'wrong' on many restorations are the actual colour shades, and this one is no exception. OK, some could argue "It's my aircraft, so that's what I've done with it".
Well, if someone is going to go to the trouble to paint something to represent the actual aircraft, then at least get the colour shades and details right!
And, of course, at some point in the future, when all those who have the knowledge regarding colours, markings, details etc have passed on, these spuriously marked examples could be accepted as accurate!

Stars and bars too small. Goose emblem too small. Stenciled letters wrong. Number missing from the lower front cowl. Line of the anti-glare in front of the windscreen wrong. Looks like the only thing that's close is the nose art.
It amazes me that we spent so much time and effort researching and painting these little models, then the guys that are doing the real thing for a museum display do something like this when by just looking closely at those two B/W photos they could have made it look 100% better with hardly any extra effort.

I was gonna say that, at least they've got it on a P-47....

I agree, and find it rather irritating. The main thing seen 'wrong' on many restorations are the actual colour shades, and this one is no exception. OK, some could argue "It's my aircraft, so that's what I've done with it".
Well, if someone is going to go to the trouble to paint something to represent the actual aircraft, then at least get the colour shades and details right!
And, of course, at some point in the future, when all those who have the knowledge regarding colours, markings, details etc have passed on, these spuriously marked examples could be accepted as accurate!

Totally agree old boy!

Nice choice though Glenn! :thumbright:

Thought I may be able to help you Glenn but all my reference books have drawn a blank on you 'Goose'. Closest I got was code no 127 and its profile and well as a plan profile of the upper wing markings of 463rd FS. Yours if you want them.

Things is.......... the can of correct color, costs no more than a can of wrong color!!!!!!

$20 hooker?
Man, where do you hang out?????
Have you had a blood test lately?

Just askin.

Started work in the cockpit area which has many inaccuracies. Many of you guys know I have a handy full sized P-47 cockpit reference in my basement so I just couldn't let it fly.

1&2) The cockpit opening is not the right shape or size so I modified it.
3&4) The floor is wrong representing an earlier model P-47. I corrected it using thin plastic card.
5) The control panel is that of a late model "D" or "M", but the shape of the top of it is incorrect for an "N". I added plastic card to correct the shape.
6&7) The control panel had none of the sub panels so I made them up from plastic card
8 ) Test fitting so far

P3040683.JPG
P3080685.JPG
P3080686.JPG
P3080689.JPG
P3080690.JPG
P3080691.JPG
P3080692.JPG
P3080693.JPG

Last edited:
Damn, Glenn. Way nice work there. Man, I am so gonna love watching this build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back