**** DONE: 1/48 P-51B "Lambie II" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I won't buy Montex masks anymore because of the lifting you are experiencing. On my last build, I used the Montex masks as templates for new masks cut from Tamiya tape. The Eduard masks are MUCH better in my opinion. Your work looks great as always!

Thanks guys. John, I wouldn't buy them either but, since I got these for free, I figured they were better than trying to make my own especially on the curved frames. I agree the Eduard masks are top notch but usually don't buy any as I can't justify the expense when, with a little work, I can do an acceptable masking job myself.

That Ed copit set dressed her up nice in side Andy.I like the colors of Lambie :thumbright:

Thanks everyone. The next series of pics were taken over the last 5 days. I still wasn't happy with the fit of the canopy so I continued working at it. After about three seam fills with primer, filing, and green paint reapplication, I got the satisfactory smooth transition from the fuselage to the glazing that I was looking for.

15041601.jpg
15041901.jpg
15041902.jpg

When I thought I had everything up to snuff, the whole model was primed. A couple of areas still needed a bit of attention as can be seen by the sanded patches.

15041903.jpg
15041904.jpg

Yesterday, I masked the wings and painted the main surfaces with Alclad Dull Aluminum and the ailerons, flaps, and wing tips with Alclad Duraluminum. The Dull Aluminum, as expected, came out a but grainy so I polished these surfaces with a 12000 grit micro-mesh pad. The jury is out on how this turned out as the finish came out a bit patchy though this isn't easily seen in the pictures. Today, I finished the rest of the NMF, leaving the nose unpainted since it will get the blue flash. The rest of the aircraft was done in Duraluminum except for the cowl pieces around the exhaust stacks which were masked and painted with Alclad Magnesium.

15042001.jpg
15042002.jpg
15042003.jpg
15042004.jpg

The overall finish certainly has room for improvement as there are a few blemishes that are quite evident on close inspection. I hope that once the decals and other colours are on, these things will be less noticeable. Being my first real attempt at an overall NMF finish since returning the hobby ten years ago, I'm reasonably satisfied with the result and hope to carry forward some learnings to the next ones.

That looks good Andy! Definitely a bit of a learning curve when it comes to using Alclad (and similar metalizers) colors. They are just SO unforgiving and require lots of inspection and clean up. And definitely try some of the more "shiny" shades of Alclad like Aircraft Aluminum, Polished Aluminum and Chrome to see if you like them.

Thanks guys.

Geo, no issues with finger prints. Probably coming form someone who used one of those rumoured bad batches or who laid it on too thick. On the contrary, I've found that the stuff dries quite quickly to a rock hard finish.

John, I'm actually trying to avoid that airshow-fresh polished look. In fact, I may go at this one with a slightly matted gloss coat to reduce the shine. Secondly, Alclad replenishment at the LHSs have become a real frustration. Our customs guys must be turning it away at the border.

Thanks guys. Actually, I think it's a bit dark Dave. There's a spade shaped panel that might work for this colour but I may go over the rest with a slightly darker shade.

Lambie II Detail.jpg

Today I masked and painted the black wing stripes and blue nose.

Here is the model with the masks for the black stripes applied and the painting started. The paint is Tamiya flat black cut with a few drops of white.

15042401.jpg

Removal of the masks revealed nice sharp edges everywhere with no bleeding. I like when that happens!

15042402.jpg
15042403.jpg

Next it was on to masking for the blue nose. For this, I studied the above pic and cut the mask using a french curve to replicate the pattern as closely as possible.

15042404.jpg

The blue was a mix of Tamiya XF-8 lightened with white. I've learned that the earlier Mustangs of the 352nd had lighter blue noses than the later D's so hopefully I got it close. After the complete base coat of blue, I darkened the paint slightly in the paint cup and thinned it quite a bit then went over the panel lines. I then went over the black stripes and the blue nose with a thin coat of Future.

15042405.jpg
15042406.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back