**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk IIa - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello all. Have not posted in a while, real life got in the way and then got into a funk. Kit is almost done, will post some pics Tuesday.

I suppose the funk could have been caused by the realization that I was not building a Wildcat. The real life portion was the new job. Anyway, as you can see, the masking did not go well.

100_1149_640x480.JPG

100_1150_640x480.JPG

I could blame Humbrol for making to good a paint, but reality is that I forgot to put on a glosscote before the masking fluid. When I tried to take it up, it didn't let go and it had bled. Live and learn. Touching up with a brush and moving on.

It's not looking to bad from what I can see Bruce. As you say a spray of gloss clear or Future between coats would have helped but on large areas like that I would have stayed away from the masking fluid and used a combination of Tamiya masking tape, Blu tak and paper. More fiddly I know but usually gives a secure masking.

Looks pretty good to me. I don't normally mask this type of pattern, just mark the shapes out in pencil, then free-hand along the lines. Not at all difficult, and saves a lot of b*gg*ring about.

Looks pretty good to me. When I do the camo on the floatplane I have made up my mind to cut masks from the plans and use them for hiding the light colour (ops..)

Charles

I have to admit, I use liquid mask for everything other than straight lines and have never had this problem. Karma I guess. Anyway, the paint is touched up, glosscoted and decaling started. This one will come in on time ( just ). " It would be bad form for the cavalry to show up to early. The nick of time will do nicely."

100_1153_640x480.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back