**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MK.IXc - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All good there, thanks Andy. My concern, later, when it comes time to paint will be trying to duplicate the D-Day markings. The under-wing marking seem incomplete but could it be that they are more inboard than I am used to seeing such as "B" in the below photo. Normally I think of the stripes as being laid out on the "A" aircraft.

Untitled2.jpg

Geo

I agree that the aircraft in Geo's pics, and Andy's pic is the same aircraft. Battery hatch missing, canopy jettisoned, and tail wheel ripped off the leg., plus the overall background terrain etc.
The underwing stripes appear to be the 'inboard' style, as in your 'B' diagram. Note the aircraft has full-span win tips.

Thanks Terry. The fuselage stripes appear to be further back as well, totally covering the fuselage band. Having said that, I'm going to say the band is uncovered and "Sky" colored on the starboard side.

Geo

Yep, I'd agree with that. Sky band is visible on the starboard side, and on the port side, it looks like the stripes have been painted around the serial number, which is showing in a rectangle of the original cammo colours.

On it's brung. Innards complete.

1.jpg
2.jpg

As expected, the upper cowl piece fit was less than stellar...

4.jpg

...the culprit being being this lip and the inner mating surface of the upper cowl.

3.jpg

Grinding is under way. Not sure of the purpose of the lip as the cowl piece rests on the fuselage. Also note that the cowl piece is not following the shape of the fuselage though not as bad as the photo shows. If one side lines up there is a step on the other. Best fit wins and the mud will fly.

Geo

Thanks guys. On the plus side, a quick test fit of the lower wing part to the fuselage shows a good fit. Gluing the wing parts together at the moment and we'll see how she looks(glue in clear part first...glue in clear part first)

Geo

Italeri has chosen a novel(for me) way of attaching the canon and stub.

003.JPG
001.JPG

Coulda swore the seam was cleaned up better than that.

Geo

Thank you sirs. Wing tips attached and no surprise, not the best fit but not too bad.

003.JPG

A test fit of the wing to fuselage. The gaps won't be as bad once glued but will still need attention.

004.JPG
005.JPG

The upper fit, not to shabby at all.

007.JPG

Won't get much done tomorrow. Off to PG, the wife gets her(shudder) staples removed and once I get home, I'm going to let the Canucks disappoint me. Having said that, for any Canadians having a shufti at this build, my son and I will be at the Canucks home game on Feb. 13th against the Maple Leafs(my sons favorite team). I told my buddy I would try and get on TV but I think we are just behind the main camera.

Geo

On it's brung. Innards complete.

View attachment 335846 View attachment 335847

As expected, the upper cowl piece fit was less than stellar...

View attachment 335848

...the culprit being being this lip and the inner mating surface of the upper cowl.

View attachment 335849

Grinding is under way. Not sure of the purpose of the lip as the cowl piece rests on the fuselage. Also note that the cowl piece is not following the shape of the fuselage though not as bad as the photo shows. If one side lines up there is a step on the other. Best fit wins and the mud will fly.

Geo

Nice work Geo! You probably know this but instead of grinding the lip on the fuselage, it'd be easier to bevel the inside edge of the cowl to take the lip out of play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back