**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MK.IXc - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Back on track, half the fuselage band and the leading edge I.D. stripes painted

002.JPG

Geo

Thanks guys....minor set back however. The white I laid down was Tamiya Gloss White. After waiting a sufficient time I painted the Sky fuselage band with Polyscale. When I went down to check, the paint had cracked. The odd thing is, I used the white as a base for the Citadel Yellow on the leading edge and no cracking. The white was also used for the under wing invasion stripes so I painted a bit of Tamiya Nato Black and will wait to see if cracking occurs. Anyhoo....out came the nail polish remover and off came the white/sky and then rinsed everything off with water.

005.JPG

The photo reminds me to remove the I.D. light on the spine. According to the Spitfire Site, aircraft from the MA serial range onwards didn't carry one.

Geo

Careful with that nail polsih remover Geo. leave it on too long and it will soften plastic, says I from experience.

This seems to be a milder(?) brand than I'm used to. #1 daughter stole that bottle. I had to scrub the beejaysus out of it to remove the paint. I flood the surface with water just to make sure nothing is left on the plastic. Anyhoo...I painted the fuselage stripe again and all good. Starting to mask the under wing stripes in a bit.

Geo

Good stuff Geo.
Regarding the nail polish remover - I recently had to remove some lettering from a new leather belt, and asked a female friend for some nail polish remover. She only had some remover pads handy, and told me they take a lot of use to remove the nail polish, as they aren't as strong as 'normal' remover.
This turned out well, as they were not as 'violent' as the liquid remover, and acted more 'gently' when removing the printed lettering, without 'bleaching' the surrounding leather, and were certainly not as messy as the liquid version.
I tried them on some paint on a scrap model, and they worked very well indeed.
Here's a couple of pics of the pads.
DSCF0001 (5).JPG
DSCF0002 (4).JPG
DSCF0001 (5).JPG
DSCF0002 (4).JPG
DSCF0002 (4).JPG

Haven't given up, getting caught up with the near finish of the George over yonder in the S2F build. Plus this will be my first time masking Invasion Stripes so treading with a fair amount of trepidation. I do have the the right fuselage band and left Invasion Stripes done. Still pondering how to weather everything up. Probably no updates for the weekend as I'm spending my Xmas present in Vancouver at a Canucks/Toronto game. My son is a Leafs fan so we're watching the battle of the 1st round draft pick.How's this for my wife and son's girlfriends planning....My son gets off afternoon shift at 0100hrs Saturday morning and we leave for PG airport at 0300hrs. Arrive in Vancouver at 0700ish and game time is @ 1600hrs. Are ya seeing a big gap here? Sunday morning leave Van @ 0700hrs, probably home @ 1030hrs. Gonna be hectic.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back