**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MK.IXc - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think you have it pretty close Geo and agree that the rear white stripe edge should be a touch closer to the stab. Your "T" decal looks just shy of 8mm which scales to 15 inches, not 24.

I think I moved the rear white stripe too far back, about a mm or so forward...

007.JPG

I also noticed that the roundel sits higher than a lot of other aircraft I've seen.

Geo

Yep, I think you're about right there Geo. Maybe move the front edge of the forward white stripe 1mm or so forward ?
The roundels are slightly higher than 'standard', emphasised by the lack of the wing root fillet in the pic of the real aircraft. From memory, one of the factories, I think CBAF, painted the roundels in a slightly different place to all the other constructors, with the leading edge of the roundel taking it's line from a different frame number.

Ok, moved the tape and started painting. Not too bad, bit of touching up. I'll let this dry, mask off the fuselage band on the right side and then figure out the widths under the wing knowing that the white starts at or near the fuselage.

008.JPG

Geo

Good progress on the stripes. You've probably given it more thought and measurements than they did on the actual aircraft! Fuselage stripes are always tricky to get right.

Looking good methinks. However you could apply these stripes using another way that seems to be easier one. But done is done.

Thanks gents. Not having anything concrete to go on with regards to the under wing stripes other than they weren't 6" inboard from the roundel. Going through drawing and decal sheets it seemed this style of stripes started at the side of the radiators nearest the center of the aircraft and ended at the beginning of the ailerons-ish. Taking out my dividers and measuring off the scale 18", walked it off and came up with 5 equal stripes. It looks like it matches the second photo so good enough for me. The first coat is on.

001.JPG

Geo

So you went right around the fuselage with the stripes, eh? I thought the oddball scheme of stripes on one side only would appeal to you and the photo evidence seems to support it.

Just under the fuselage Andy. It looks like there's something there in the photo though I may have to tone it down. I thought it may have been partially removed during the forced landing.

Geo

Now re-looking at the photo, can't really see it, just shadows and the fuselage band looks to be removed too neatly rather than being scrubbed off during the crash. I thought regs stated that the lower fuselage stripes remained in place until the end of '44!

Last edited:
Thanks Wayne. Under wing stripes and outer wing panels are done, touch-ups to follow. I'll leave the center section alone until I decide what I'm going to do about the fuselage stripes or lack there of.

003.JPG

Geo

Thanks gents, still looking at the rear fuselage and it sure looks like no stripes, including the "Sky" fuselage stripe.

Capture.JPG

Here's a photo I found, about the same time period, top of the wing stripes off, rear fuselage stripes on though partially obliterated.

GeoffreyPageSpitfire1.jpg

I finally found a decent shot of how I portrayed my stripes, close enough.

5505764-3x2-700x467.jpg

Any thoughts, gentlemen? If they're not there, an easy fix.

Geo

I thunk and I thunk Don and I'm going with the invasion stripes and fuselage stripe were removed for whatever reason so I will remove them for reasons. Time to get this sucker moving....

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back