**** DONE: GB-37 1/48 Hughes 500D - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very striking resemblance. Have to let Tom know of this build. He'd get a kick out of it, I'm sure.

I've been working on the landing skid modification over the last couple of days.
I want to depict the chopper shown in the opening credits which had extended skids and emergency flotation packs. That chopper, N58243, was one of several used during the filming of the series and has been the most difficult for me to track down pictures of due to the fact (which I've only just found out) that it crashed into the ocean during the filming of the 6th episode of the first season killing a camera technician.

Here's a picture of the extended skids and float packs on another 500D
alexair-helicopters.jpg

Here I've started work on the skid extensions. I used plastic rod of the same diameter as the skid and attached it with brass rod slightly bent to the angle of the extended portion
P1012628.JPG

I used JB Weld PlasticWeld, an epoxy putty to make the float packs. It was fairly sticky to work with and took a while to get into the right shape but it turned out alright.
P1012629.JPG

Here it is after a bit of sanding and a light brush coat of flat black
P1012631.JPG

I also put together the rotor assembly and cleaned up the few remaining parts in preparation for painting
P1012630.JPG
P1012632.JPG

Yep, it's a tricky colour to spray. I normally give a light base coat of white, thinly applied, then it only needs probably two thin coats of the yellow to get a good finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back