**** DONE: GB-37 1/72 Airfix Westland Scout (RAN) - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cant progress much further until the stuff on order arrives.

One thing I am unsure of kiwi biggles...when did the RNZN finally retire their Wasps?

I just looked it up - it was far later than I remembered. The weren't retired until 1998, when they were replaced by Kaman Seasprites.

Funny when you get to a point in your life where things that happened 20 years ago seem recent.

At the end of 90' ( 1998 ) , as memo serves. But possible a little bit later.

Oh.... we criss-crossed posts.

I have some depressing news. My package from hannants arrived which was supposed to contain two PE interiors, one for a seaking that am planning to build in this GB, and one for the scout. unfortunately, the package arrived with two Sea King PE Kits, one for a Revell Kit (which I don't own) and one for an airfix Sea King which I do own.

There was no sign of the scout PE kit. Ive sent a message to Hannants, but might be some weeks before I hear from them.

I did receive my decals from Melbourne for the 109, and some super fine metal gauze from Red Roo. So its not all bad.

I'm inclined to put the scout on hold until I can get the PE aftermarket stuff sorted and make a start on the Airfix Sea King which I can finish at this point......frustrating though....

I really like this kit....kinda addictive due to its age and small size. no word yet from hannants . come Thursday and I might just bite the bullet and order the part again. it may well be a mistake I made in the ordering process.

in the meatime I have messed about a bit adding some plumbing to the blower that passes under the turbine and finishing the home made air intakes. The intakes are not as good as I had hoped.......

engine deck IV (2).jpg

air intakes.jpg

Looking very impressive this 72 scale stuff gives me headaches. So the IPS was as I thought. Interesting.

Ive received the PE detail now, for this model, but I'm embroiled in finishing the Sea King first. Will swing back into this build once ive cleared the production lines of the other build........

With the bench clear of the Sea King, I'm able to restart the scout build. there is not much time now, but I will do my best to get finished. Was rather hoping for a time extension to finish this project if possible.

Anyway, ive spent a lot of time putting together the pilots and co-pilots seats from the PE parts supplied. It was hard, and no simulated upholstery was provided. Ive fabricated seat cushions from an unusual substance.....plaster of paris. Not sure if it will iork, and I did have to add some more of thiss unusual filler around the edges as the premade cushions were just not quite right. That's all the white you can see.
Ive also cut to size and fitted a PE decking cover plate fitted to the kit part Have put together the foot pedal assembly (not shown in the photos. Ive put together the instrument panels and folded and cut to size a cross member behind the pilots/copilots positions. Not yet glued into place.

IP-1.jpg

seats 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back