**** DONE: GB-38 1:48 MiG-3 (early) - Axis A/C (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Trumpeter
Add-ons: Home-made decals, bits and bobs

My build will be a MiG-3 captured by the Germans during Operation Barbarossa. Not a lot of info here other than it was "probably" tested at Rechlin and the first two code letters are speculation. I had a nice back and forth with Wojtek(Wurger) yesterday about color interpretation so what it is is just our speculation.

gb.png

As I can only find one photo on the web or in any of my books, here is a link to the photo...
german MiG-3 CT+SV

nr-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
The innards: note the sprue trees are marked A, B, E, F. I'm thinking that C and D are for the late version. There is some nice detail and I'll see what can be added...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

The clear parts. I like that the windscreen is also part of the fuselage...

8.JPG

The decals. These won't be used but they have the same printing issue as my Trumpeter Wyvern...

9.JPG

10.JPG

There aren't too many online builds to check out but the ones I looked in on said for the most part it's a great build. One mentioned a wing/fuselage issue at the rear but the fix was easy

Last edited:
Been slowly painting up the innards in between masking my other project up. Anyone building a singles seat VVS fighter is well advised to visit Massimo Tessitori's website...MiG-3 family I chose the silver innards to be different. He also suggests that the boxes could have been green and the I.P. as black. I've seen photos of black and a light color. Not much definition on the kit I.P. so I'm going with black. I also tried to figure out how to weather the silver panels so I ended up dry brushing Citadel Mud Wash on, possibly over doing it.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

Seat and I.P. up next

Looking good. As far as the indicator panel is concerned.. I would say that's the part was of the light grey colour. Those with black were used for the later MiG-3s rather.But if there is no evidence you may use the black one certainly.

Nice one Geo! I built the Trumpeter MiG-3 a while back for one of the GB's and recalled that it went together very nicely.

Thanks guys. Went black and dry brushed. Trying to see if any of the knobs had color but like everything else about the aircraft, its mostly speculation.

IMG_0007.JPG

Painted and dry brushed the "leather" with four brown shades though its hard to see. Again the color of the armor open to interpretation, I've seen green, black and silver. Looking for info on the seatbelts. Colors are from beige to green. No one can decide whether they come through the rear cushion or over it

IMG_0009.JPG

The radio piece on the right isn't used for this aircraft so I'll remove the boxes and install the shelf

I would say the way seen in the second diagram look better..

m2.jpg

......yes and yet no closer to a decision. In the meantime I found this and the caption says, "....early MiG-3..........."

upload_2018-5-15_15-33-30.png

I've got a few more books to go through before I make a call. It'll be easier to attach the shoulder belts to the part before attaching the seat pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back