**** DONE: GB-39 1/72 Bf109E-3 Obfw. J.Arnoldy - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hi all
Question for youse
Look the photo below and help me to decide how to paint the spinner.

Tamiya instructions says RLM70 but the phot looks like it's white. Moreover, look at the aircraft on the background. It seems the spinner is half painted in BLACK and half in white (or maybe it's all WHITE and it's a shadow)
Messerschmitt-Bf-109E3-4.JG77-White-5-Jakob-Arnoldy-WNr-1276-Norway-Apr-1940-01.jpg

Any suggestions?
Cheers

Got some info for ya, confirming via my references, standby. ;) Will have it sorted and posted momentarily.

Ok, I could not find any pictures of your specific aircraft but I do have some others from JG77 within the same time frame.

1009182251.jpg

II/JG77 machine with spinner backplate in RLM70 and front spinner in white.

1009182251a.jpg

Another machine from II/JG77 with RLM70/white spinner.

1009182254.jpg

Another example, caption should be clear enough for accompanying photo.

From the picture of your aircraft and what can be seen of the spinner, I feel it matches these machines in that rear of the spinner is RLM70 with the part forward of the spinner joint in white. There are other pictures I have at hand that show some JG77 aircraft with spinners completely RLM70 but I do not feel that reflects how your subject was painted.

For interest here is a photo of your subject pilot found in my source receiving an award at Mandal in the summer of 1940.
1009182252.jpg

Ofw. Jakob Annoldy is second from left.

All pictures are from this book:
1009182255.jpg

I know it isn't exactly definitive but I hope it helps a little with the RLM70/white combination being an entirely plausible possibility.

Chad

I'm having deja vu. We talked about this before somewhere but I don't remember where.

Yes Andy you are right. Here.. Bf109E-3 Jakob Arnoldy "Weisse 5"

To be honest it is quite difficult to state if the spinners of the JG 77 in Norway, 1940 were all half painted with the RLM 70. Also it can't be seen if these had the RLM 70 quarters only. However most images of the unit planes present them white overall with the RLM 70 ( Black) back ring.Here are other four images I found via the net... these with those four pics posted in the thread mentioned above let me believe that the overall winte painted spinners with the black back ring were the most used option. The enlarged shot of the "White 5" suggests that too. As I stated it in the mentioned above thread if there is no evidence of two tone painted spinners it is better to paint them white. If there would appear new pics showing the different painting of spinners it should be easier to repaint them with the RLM 70 in a half or with the quarter.

Bf-109E3-Stab-II.JG77-Apr-1940.jpg
Bf 109E JG77 Norway 1940_a.jpg
Bf 109E JG77 Norway 1940_b.jpg
Bf 109E JG77_.jpg

the pic source: Aviation History Society Norway Forum • View topic - reacent aqusitions II JG77 and Asisbiz Social App

I gave an overall coat of Tamiya X-22 Clear thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner (MLT) at ratio 1 paint: 3 MLT, 15psi.

Decals in place, using the Micro Sol / Set solutions. Tamiya decals are very thick but conform pretty well with Micro Sol.

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570%2B5.jpg

I didn't use the original Baukenkreuz since the it was different from my references (see first photo on this post). I used one set from FCM decals instead.

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

Another coat of Tamiya X-22 Clear thinned with MLT (1:3,15psi) was applied and the kit set aside to completely dry before starting with the weathering.

To be continued!

Looking good Paulo, I liked your 109 supports with the clip and the paddle sticks. Very ingenious I like creativity and inventiveness. :idea:
Very attentive to the tracking of your bird.

Saludos :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back