So after much delay and more than a little drama, I think im just about there.
I finished up using just straight rubber black for the prop , with the yellow flashed at the prop tips being 1 part Tamiya Orange to 6 parts straight yellow.
I found the biggest difficulty was trying to rectify the numerous faults in the outer skin. There was the rough almost spatter effect from the old airbrush, but added to that, after a few days of curing, these horrible blotchy stains percolated up to the top really ruining the paint work I had done so far.
I think the discolouration was caused by oil or some other impurity that had managed to find its way onto the surface coat before I applied either the final topcoat or perhaps earlier whilst applying the RAF green. either way, it was a mess. My theories are that either some residue from the decal setting fluid, or residue from the masking that I did after the first coat. Either way, it took a couple of days to show its ugly head.
I still haven't rectified the problem, but its a bit better now and at least presentable I think. Basically I used a very fine buffing wheel, with the Dremel set to less than 20 rpm and carefully buffed out as much as I could . it was a very slow process, and very risky as well , but it seems to have worked. I also used something Ive only recently found …..Tamiya cutting compound which seems to work pretty well in a desperate situation.
I still have one or two things to fix before calling this. the prop is just dry fitted at the moment and there is some excess invisible thread that I need to trim.
But its basically finished at this point...…