**** DONE: GB-43 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
1/32nd scale Spitfire Mk.VIII, 136 Sqn., Burma, 1944

Username :- Airframes.
Name :- Terry
Category :- Judge - non competing.
Scale :- 1/32nd.
Model :- Spitfire Mk.VIII
Kit :- Revell Spitfire Mk.IXc
Accessories :- GMF resin tail wheel conversion, HGW fabric seat harness, old 'Almark' SEAC decals, 'Xtradecal code letter decals, 'Ventura' serial number decals, some minor
scratch-building. (EDIT:- also adding some Barracuda resin cockpit parts, and a Yahu instrument panel.)

This will be a minor conversion of the recent Revell Mk.IX kit of a subject already done, in 1/48th scale. some years back, for relatives of the late F/Sgt. 'Bob' Cross, the highest scoring RAF pilot in South East Asia Command with 10 destroyed, 2 'Probables', and 9 damaged, all confirmed.
Having been away from 'the bench' for just over a year, I need to check my paints stocks, and will probably have to order some paints online, as my LHS closed down a couple of weeks ago. Consequently, work may not begin for a few days.
More information on the subject will follow in the next post.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 005.JPG

Last edited:
As mentioned in the heading post, I've already built this subject, along with a Hurricane Mk.IIc and Spitfire Mk.V, all in 1/48th scale, back in 2010, for Max and Barbara Camps, relatives of the late 'BoB' Cross, DFM. ( a pic of the 1/48th scale model is shown below, to give an idea of what the finished model should look like.)
When choosing a subject, it was a toss-up, for this kit, between this 136 Sqn aircraft, or the mount of a lesser-known, New Zealand 'ace', the late Johnnie Houlton, of 485 (NZ) Sqn, who's Mk.IX (OU-V, ML 407) still flies today in the UK and Europe, having been restored (in slightly modified TR9, 2-seat configuration) by Nick Grace, and owned by his widow, Caroline Grace. However, as I already have a Mk.IX in this Squadron's markings (as OU-P), converted from the old 1/32nd Hasegawa kit over 30 years ago, and I wanted to use the broad-chord, pointed rudder included in the Revell kit, along with a slightly different colour scheme to the other 1/32nd scale Spitfires I have, the Mk.VIII won. Maybe I might do OU-V at a later date ......... ahem !

Rather than take up space in this post, covering the Squadron and 'Bob' Cross, I've posted, in PDF form, the original illustrated 'blurb' I included with the 1/48th scale build back in 2010, which provides info on 136 Sqn, and, of course, details on 'Bob' Cross, his aircraft and operations, which, although running to 12 pages, will hopefully prove interesting.
Since writing the original, further information came to light, some of which clears a little confusion on the subject of which Mk.VIII was used by Bob when claiming aircraft destroyed or damaged, as previously published in various books and accounts over the years, and it has been established that the 'correct' aircraft was coded HM-E, and was very probably Serial Number JF 619, as portrayed by my 1/48th scale model.

Once I've sorted my paints stocks, I'll make a start on this project.

Bob Cross build 326.jpg

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - 136 Squadron Background.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Thanks chaps.
Not so much jumping back in, as stepping cautiously !
The very recent closure of my LHS is causing a few problems, as I can no longer just "nip down the road" for last-minute needs, such as paint, cements, scalpel blades etc, which I now have to order on-line (with the usual minimum order stipulations). I just hope that these delays won't result in flagging enthusiasm, but, meanwhile, I'll probably make a start on those areas normally tackled later in the build, which don't need the use of things that I've run out of / dried up / misplaced / forgotten where they hide etc etc !!

Having had a closer look at some of the kit parts, I decided to order some resin detail parts for the cockpit area (first post edited accordingly).
Some cockpit parts in the kit, although just about acceptable, are somewhat 'soft' in detail, whilst other parts are missing entirely, presumably due to the kit being patterned from an existing, restored and airworthy airframe.
Such items as the control column grip are inaccurate, being for the earlier Mk.1 / Mk.II versions, and it will be easier, and quicker, to use resin replacements, rather than scratch-building missing parts, or modifying kit parts.
Construction is supposed to start with the instrument panel and frame, and, whilst the kit parts are very nicely molded, two decals are provided for the instruments, and I'm very doubtful that these will conform properly, hence the use of the Yahu instrument panel.
The parts should be with me later this week, together with some replacement paints, but meanwhile, I've made a start on other ares of the cockpit, starting with the seat and seat frame area. The seat back cushion is obviously modelled on a 'modern' example, and is totally wrong for a wartime 'Spit', and the back armour is not included in the kit. Rather than buy a replacement resin seat and armour set, the cushion on the kit part can easily be corrected, and the armour plate scratch-built using suitable plastic card.

I'll post some pics of the progress when there's something to show, possibly later tonight.

A few pics of the first areas needing attention.

Pics 1 & 2. The instrument panel and associated decals. Although quite nicely done, I have doubts that the two-part decals will conform over the raised detail. I could use individual instrument decals, which I have in stock, and paint other details, but using the Yahu panel will provide a much more detailed and realistic appearance. The detail on the kit part will be filed off, once I receive the Yahu panel, having first confirmed that the fit will b OK.
Pic 3. The seat back and cushion - a 'modern' version, which should be 'ribbed' and easily corrected by filing and then engraving the 'ribs'.
Pic 4. The cockpit walls which, although there are parts to add, lack some surface detail and some fittings. The resin parts, from Barracuda, include detailed cockpit walls and the missing components, as well as throttle, landing gear unit, the missing remote contactor, oxygen hose etc, and a much better gunsight, compared to the kit item.
Pics 5 & 6. The electrical socket on the port wing root needs to be filled in, as this was not on the Mk.VIII, the aircraft employing a Coffman cartridge starter, and the area of the starboard nose, where the blister for the Coffman starter should be located. A suitable blister-shaped lamp from the spares box will be used to represent this.
Pic 7. The cockpit door, although acceptable if in the closed position, will benefit from being replaced by a resin part, with superior detail and separate crow bar, as this will be fitted in the open position.

Other external areas to be modified include engraving the fuel fillers on the wings, the Mk.VIII having extra wing tanks, and opening an area where the retractable tail wheel parts, from Grey Matter Figures, will be fitted.
Back soon with some pics of the work to date ................

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 006.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 012.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 007.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 009.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 010.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 011.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 008.JPG

Thanks chaps.
First bits done, with the seat back and electrical socket hatch filled with a smear of 'Milliput'.
Once this has set, it will be lightly sanded. The seat back can then be engraved to represent the ribbed, leather cover - three small points have been marked under the seat cover, ready to be drilled and then filed to shape, to create the hand hold, used when removing the seat.
As the kit parts have relatively prominent, engraved rivets all over, once assembled, the airframe will have at least two coats of primer, using the underside colour of Medium Sea Grey, which should reduce the 'divot' effect.
More soon, when there's something at least a little worthwhile to show ...............

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 015.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 016.JPG

Thanks all.

A little more progress, after what seemed to be a long time, due to very delicate, fiddly parts, and my knackered hands.
The seat back has now been engraved, and the hand hold drilled out and shaped, and the seat has been assembled (fiddly work, as the locating pins / ridges on the four main parts are very small). I've left major clean-up until this stage, as it'll be easier (for me) to clean-up with the seat as an assembled item, and this will be done once all the parts have set.
The flare rack is included in the kit, but as this was rarely seen after the early Mk.1, it has been omitted.
The seat frame consists of four very delicate parts, and one of the arms on the lower support broke off when removing the part from the sprue, but was fairly easily repaired. This will be attached to the main frame, as per instructions, once I've figured out how to fit the scratch-built back armour, which is underway at the moment.
I'm anticipating some more fiddling, as once again, the seat and frame, being more or less to scale, don't have much in the way of attachment points for the armour, which, of course, is not included in the kit parts.
Apologies for the poor quality of the pics - I'll use one of my 'proper' cameras next time !!

Pic 1. Seat back cushion engraved and hand hold drilled, awaiting clean-up.
Pics 2 & 3. The forward edge of the seat pan was rather thick, so this was thinned down, as were the edges of the seat sides.
Pic 4. The assembled seat, yet to be cleaned and 'tidied'.
Pic 5. The seat with the assembled parts of the frame. The part at bottom right is the one that was damaged removing it from the sprue. This fits onto the cross-bar of the main frame, with the horizontal channel supporting the rear edge of the seat base. Once the back armour has been sorted, these parts can (hopefully !) be assembled onto the seat and armour, and the final two parts added (not including the seat harness, which will be tackled after painting the seat and frame assembly).

Back tomorrow, with more on the seat - I hope - and then, with luck, I can move on to other cockpit areas, whilst awaiting the arrival of the detail parts.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 017.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 020.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 021.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 026.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 028.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back