**** DONE: GB-45 1:48 Slovakian Bf 109G-6 - BoB/Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've always assumed that a painter would have just sprayed carefully along the wing root somewhere. Different shift, different guy and a different demarcation. I doubt they would have wasted time masking it.

Most photos show the fuselage colour on the wing fillet, to the joint between fillet and wing root. The upper wing surface colours normally end at this joint, but that's not to say that any mottle applied could not encroach onto the fillet, although I don't think I've seen this, or at least not in any 'heavy' form.

Thanks Andy and Terry. Found this in the same book showing fuselage colour as Terry says

1587152138866.png

HTMODEL SPECIAL - SUMICHRAST/HOCHMUTH/AND`AL
That's how it shall be

That is looking great, George! I tend to keep my demarcations at the wing root. And, like Andy, I tend to let the exhaust staining cover that anyways.

Thanks all. Painting almost complete and I'm pretty stoked for several reasons. The first, that wavy leading edge demarcation turned out better than expected for my first attempt. Not entirely accurate I think.

IMG_0001.JPG

I haven't painted the area the leading edge slats slot into RLM02 yet as I thought it easier to mask and do it afterwards. The upper camo was done using Gunze Aqueous Hobby Color H68 RLM74 and a 30 year old bottle of their RLM75. I don't know the number as the label is long gone. The second thing that pumped me up is how smooth this sprayed and how quickly the paint hardened. It wasn't until I was halfway done spraying the RLM74 mottles on the left side that I realized I was holding the model on an area that had been sprayed about 20 minutes prior.....no damage or finger prints at all. The third thing is that I had the crap load of masking tape piled onto the RLM75 to avoid my usual over spray. No over spray and not one bit of paint lift.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Speaking of no paint lift and the last thing that pumped me up, notice the wing roots and the lack of paint lift thereof. This was sprayed with Vallejo and the masking tape was left on for three days. I think it pays off to let the paint harden a lot longer than recommend before masking. Having said that, the fuselage stripe masking tape has been on a lot longer. I'm going to spray the rest of the stripe tonight and remove the masking then....fingers crossed but this may be pushing it

IMG_0004.JPG

I still have the sprayed out German markings to do on the upper wings and tail and then I can start to clear coat

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Me as well Andy. I do have some Canadian sources and while the paint is fairly cheap, the shipping is the killer. If our dollar ever gets above $.80US I'll send you a Japanese site. With shipping its cheaper than the Tamiya I can get in PG by about $.50 a bottle

Thanks for that. I do like supporting my local brick and mortar stores though. There are still two that I visit and I try to buy from them when I can so I'll be sticking with the Tamiya paints unless they find a way to stock Gunze..

True. I am hitting PG tomorrow and hopefully hitting the hobby store. Anyhoo.....painted the last of the fuselage band Tamiya XF-27, close enough to RLM70 for me.

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Note, as mentioned above, the Vallejo Yellow has been masked for five days.....no paint lift. I also painted the spinner white and RLM70. I fully expected to get some bleed under here as I completely forgot about it until I was finished with the fuselage band. Easy touch up. As mentioned above, the Luftwaffe markings were painted out, some like Eduard say with RLM70, others including a few books say Khaki. I was going with Khaki. I started cutting out some +'s for wing masking and noticed that Eduard dropped the ball. They made the Slovakian markings the exact same size as the Balkenkreuz. They should be a bit smaller allowing a bit of the painted out Balkenkreuz to show through. I will still be able to do the painted out tail marking though not as much as shown in the photos

IMG_0021.JPG

Loving it Geo. I have found XF-27 to be an almost perfect match for Merrick's RLM 70 chip. So do you find the Gunze paints to go on even nicer than the Tamiya's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back