**** DONE: GB-45 1/72 Dornier Do 18 - BoB/Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes that B&W picture is among the ones that Yves sent to me .
Yes, it was me (I'm Yves;)). What Wojtek (Wurger) shows above is exactly what I tried to describe: each glass sliding window goes over metal skin in all 4 positions. If you want to depict the windows open or closed is up to you, but if they are open they go over metal. The grey(ish) model (top right) in your picture shows this configuration with all windows closed.

Last edited:
I heat it up in the wood frame in a toaster oven, Then I have an old flashlight body hooked up to a vacuum cleaner. I used to use the kiln on the right but it was too hard to control and I'd get blisters on the plastic. The toaster oven works set on "toast" but it's not as fast to soften the plastic, doesn't blister it though.

vacformr.jpg

One of the sponsons is done. Trying to sand around the other detail turned into an exercise in frustration so I sanded the whole thing smooth. Small circles of wire to replicate the channel on the out side of the fuel cells and stretched sprue for the straight pieces. BMF to make the caps on the cells. At least now the panel lines don't look like trenches anymore. Been slow progress on account of us actually having nice weather. Getting out side in the yard and sunshine good for the soul ! I have to admit, after 30 years in this house it seems very strange to just wave at my neighbours across the street. I can imagine how people living behind the Berlin wall must have felt !

Do18 (46)r.jpg

Lets build models they said, it's cheaper than golfing and a lot less walking they said ! I've gotten a bit frustrated with this kit I started drawing out all the panel lines on the wing using the instructions and I kept getting all sorts of funny angles, turns out the instructions are whacko. from side to side I get 1:2.7, front to back it's 1:3.2 and now I have pencil lines all over the place so I guess I'll sand off all the black primer and start again UGH ! The fuselage is done, cockpit glass seems a bit out of scale as far as the openings, either that or Fritz has gained some wieght ! I think I'll go fart around in my garage tomorrow and come back to it in a day or two !

Do18 (48)r.jpg

I think I will just mark the lines out as they were on the model which matches the line drawing diagram. The instructions have a completely different pattern than what is on the model. I was trying to copy the instructions but I now doubt their accuracy.

plan2.jpg
plan3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back