**** DONE: GB-45 1/72 Dornier Do 18 - BoB/Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WOW ! That is some serious work. I haven't seen it though I wish I had before I started mine. I can see now where there are a lot of inaccuracies in mine. Too late to fix. Thanks for the link. It will help lots in finishing it off !

Winging my way along. Thanks to the link Wojtek posted. It's worth checking out.Dornier Do 18-D *Finished* Some amazing detail, a lot more than I would attempt ! I did re do the radiators under the wing with some brass mesh and aluminum. Re scribed all the panel lines as well.

Do18 (50)r.jpg

Do18 (51)r.jpg

Do18 (56)r.jpg

Fixed, took the head apart, replaced an O ring, good to go. If push comes to shove I have a line running into my room from the compressor in the garage but it's LOUD !

Fixed, took the head apart, replaced an O ring, good to go. If push comes to shove I have a line running into my room from the compressor in the garage but it's LOUD !

Well so far so good, dug through my toolbox pack rat drawer and found a suitable O ring. The old one was actually a bakelite shim that was pounded out letting air from the tank leak back into the head. The pressure would drop but because air would leak back into the head, the low pressure switch would hit the motor on which couldn't turn and the fuse would blow. Back in business

compressor (2)r.jpg

Primer and base coat. Krylon spray paint flat black, sprayed through my airbrush.

Do18 (57)r.jpg

interesting the plane and great detailed work, true that the detailed that comes out on the link is mind bogglingly complete ..
I encourage you already have it very advanced!

Last night I managed to get the underside painted. I used salt for a mask on the paint chipping. It turned out pretty good, I'm happy with it. Masking everything off for the topside is a bit of a pain ! I still haven't come to a decision on how best to letter it. I tried to buy some frisket paper yesterday, there were line ups out side stores, Amazon said they were unable to ship to me due to extra volume. I found some on E Bay, normally I would have just gone to Michaels but they are too bloody expensive and besides, I'm in hiding !

Do18 (59)r.jpg

great!!!

And if you cut paper from normal sheets and tape them to make the masked ones ?, it is somewhat more lavish but the same thing gets you out of standing until you find the frisket paper

great!!!

And if you cut paper from normal sheets and tape them to make the masked ones ?, it is somewhat more lavish but the same thing gets you out of standing until you find the frisket paper

I'm going to attempt to make unit emblems and trying to get the register of multiple colours through paper is an exercise in frustration, I know this from silk screening T shirts ! Transparent masks make it less so !

Winging my way along. Thanks to the link Wojtek posted. It's worth checking out.Dornier Do 18-D *Finished* Some amazing detail, a lot more than I would attempt ! I did re do the radiators under the wing with some brass mesh and aluminum. Re scribed all the panel lines as well.

View attachment 575914
Hi Graham, work goes nicely as I can see!
One of the wrong details of the model I remember are the intakes on the top of the engine nacelle. Early models (what I've been using for my model) have 4 of them. Late military models (D, G) have 4 or 2 but when 2, they are side by side. Please check some of the photos I sent you or you already have from other sources for exact number and location. There was something describing this change, the front intakes were for the front engine and later they have been moved - I don't remember where exactly. If I find the description I'll post it here (not too much time for hobby lately....). Check the photos below:
X5hwGgJ.jpg

pCIAiGR.jpg

Another nice detail you can see in the above photos are the sliding covers for the radiator - they can be half open, open or closed. The model doesn't have them. I used sheet plastic pieces (from an yogurt container to have them curved) glued in place.
Regards
Yves

Last edited:
I noticed that as well thanks to the data you sent me. I'm not sure whether to have the four or the two side by side or just leave it as it is. Kind of leaning towards leaving it as is.

I noticed that as well thanks to the data you sent me. I'm not sure whether to have the four or the two side by side or just leave it as it is. Kind of leaning towards leaving it as is.
The top photo is an early D-model (4 intakes), the bottom is I guess G (not sure) or late D(2 intakes). I believe your a/c should have 2 only. It's your decision though - models are models. I remember sanding the original plastic parts and making cones (half cones) for the intakes from the tips of cheap automatic pencils (from Dollarama) + some filler. Never finished this "repairs" so I can't show a credible result but this is the part I've used:
Pc7pPE6.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back