**** DONE: GB-45 1/72 Dornier Do 18 - BoB/Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm thinking of doing away with the tandem inlets and going with the side by side ones now, decisions decisions, next group build I'm doing a Hurricane or 109 !!

I'm thinking of doing away with the tandem inlets and going with the side by side ones now, decisions decisions, next group build I'm doing a Hurricane or 109 !!
There is a joke about the man who gave his cat to the neighbor during his vacation time. I will not retell it but in essence the more you torture yourself during the whole model building process, the bigger the relief/happiness/joy after you are finally done.;) Good luck with the remaining work!
Cheers!

There is a joke about the man who gave his cat to the neighbor during his vacation time. I will not retell it but in essence the more you torture yourself during the whole model building process, the bigger the relief/happiness/joy after you are finally done.;) Good luck with the remaining work!
Cheers!

At art school we called it " loving your work to death"

Well after staring at pictures and then the model and back and forth I decided to change the inlet pipes on the engine gondola to be paired side by side. Then get back into the painting. Not thinking ahead about what a pain it would be to mask everything I assembled the whole model. In retrospect I would have just painted the fuselage and wings separately. I think I've used more masking tape on this than I did on the last ten models I've built. The first coat is on fairly light. I want to build them up layer by layer so the difference between the RLM 72-73 is a bit more noticeable. I would imagine the salt sea air would have been very hard on the paint. So far so good.

Do18 (60)r.jpg

Do18 (64)r.jpg

Oh it's been a struggle ! Gotten discouraged with it a few times and left it for few days. I do love Dornier flying boats though. I have a Mach2 Dornier 26 but no bloody way am I doing THAT one for a group build. Probably the most miserable kit I've ever seen !

After considerable frustrations, touch ups and a major masking PITA I finally finished the camouflage. Initially I thought it would be easier to paint the fuselage separate from the wings and the engine gondola but the fit between them was so poor I knew I'd be trying to clean it up afterwors which would have been impossible. At ay rate she's done and now it's on to the markings. I'm going with M2+IK, I'm just not sure what emblem to use. I may just use the one on the decal sheet and hope no one really notices !

decals.jpg
Do18 (65)r.jpg
Do18 (67)r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back