**** DONE: GB-45 1/72 Dornier Do 18 - BoB/Foreign Service (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Getting down to the wire. Fixing up the fiddley things. The props I reshaped to look more pointed rather than look like canoe paddles. The hub on the rear prop I built up with putty to look more conical. I also mounted them on pins inside some steel tube from a syringe needle. I'm kind of OCD about props that don't spin and the mounting of them using the kit parts was bulky and did not fit.

Do18 (77)r.jpg

Do18 (78)r.jpg

Do18 (80)r.jpg

The dorsal turret was a nasty bit consisting of two pieces. A very thick turret and a very poor looking excuse for an MG 151. Vacu-formed my own turret and made a slightly more convincing looking cannon. I should be able to finish this off in the next few days. The logo decal which I'm trying to print is becoming a bit of a pain. Crappy printer and I find the white decal paper is a bit too thick after its been printed and sealed. And so it goes.

Do18 (81)r.jpg

Do18 (82)r.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see you tackling the last few steps Graham and the parts look great. I do find the white decal paper that I used in the past quite thick as well. I've found it's also important to get your printer settings right for the thick paper.

Good to see you tackling the last few steps Graham and the parts look great. I do find the white decal paper that I used in the past quite thick as well. I've found it's also important to get your printer settings right for the thick paper.

Yes it is quite thick, I'm hoping after a couple of coats of Dullcote it won't stand out as much. I think next time I try this I'll make a stencil and spray the white on and use the clear film for the decal. It's quite small and just cutting the decal out of the paper I thought my eye balls were going to climb out of my face !

Tick tick tick....Lastly, the turret is done and ready to install. The kit also has nothing in the way of a stand so I made a ? Not sure what it would be called ? Beaching mount ? stand ?, I used a tongue depressor for the wood. At least i have something to set the model on !!

Do18 (83)r.jpg

I should be able to post the final pictures over the next day or two.

Tick tick tick....Lastly, the turret is done and ready to install. The kit also has nothing in the way of a stand so I made a ? Not sure what it would be called ? Beaching mount ? stand ?, I used a tongue depressor for the wood. At least i have something to set the model on !!

View attachment 583353

I should be able to post the final pictures over the next day or two.
The amphis were set on a kind of kart craddle made of wood with 4 wheels. The cart was driven into the water to release or collect plane. A crane , if there also could be used to lift it on a cart. Car was not type specific and wooden pegs and blocks used to stabalize the plane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back