**** DONE: GB-47 1/48 P-51D-5NA - WW2 D-Day and After - Western Front (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I hate shoulder pain. Both shoulders have been repaired. Right one went South on me starting a grass trimmer. Gives me fits now.
Take care of yourself!
Thanks Bill, arthritis in my rt shoulder and nerve pain down rt shoulder all the way to fingers. Samething on the left but not to same level. Trying to finish this one.

You have my sympathy Don. I've been really struggling with the RA recently, due to lack of treatment because of the Covid restrictions, so I know how painful and frustrating it can be. Just got a course of steroids, as a temporary measure, which is helping enormously.

Looks good Don! Hope you're feeling better and able to make some progress. I'm in the painting stages of this same kit right now (well, actually the kit WITH the dorsal fin fillet) and having built about 40 P-51's over the years in 1/48 (mostly Tamiya), I'm VERY impressed with this kit.
-Wheel wells are correct (rear spar)
-Cockpit detail OOB is superb (not a huge fan of the seat, but it's not a deal breaker)
-Fit.......with careful test fitting, etc. is exceptional. Equal if not better than the Tamiya kit.
-Main canopy is one piece, not the two piece abortion that Tamiya offers.
-Wind screen is molded into the fuselage and doesn't have to be placed on top of the fuselage "naked" like the Tamiya kit.

On the negative side, the panel lines are a tad "deep" in places but I'm also finding out that once primer/paint/topcoat is applied, they look fine. For the one I'm building right now, I'm not bothering to remove the wing panel lines. Might do that with the next one(s). I'll determine if it's 100% necessary (for my taste at least) once I have this one finished. When I'm done, I'll take some pics and post in the "finished" sub forum.

Looks good Don! Hope you're feeling better and able to make some progress. I'm in the painting stages of this same kit right now (well, actually the kit WITH the dorsal fin fillet) and having built about 40 P-51's over the years in 1/48 (mostly Tamiya), I'm VERY impressed with this kit.
-Wheel wells are correct (rear spar)
-Cockpit detail OOB is superb (not a huge fan of the seat, but it's not a deal breaker)
-Fit.......with careful test fitting, etc. is exceptional. Equal if not better than the Tamiya kit.
-Main canopy is one piece, not the two piece abortion that Tamiya offers.
-Wind screen is molded into the fuselage and doesn't have to be placed on top of the fuselage "naked" like the Tamiya kit.

On the negative side, the panel lines are a tad "deep" in places but I'm also finding out that once primer/paint/topcoat is applied, they look fine. For the one I'm building right now, I'm not bothering to remove the wing panel lines. Might do that with the next one(s). I'll determine if it's 100% necessary (for my taste at least) once I have this one finished. When I'm done, I'll take some pics and post in the "finished" sub forum.
Couldn't agree more. Quite well done on Airfix's side. With a painted bird like mine, the panel lines work well.

Here's for an update. progressing along slow but sure. The Airfix decals are a bit heavy, er resilient, yeah that the word, yeah resilient. But they work very well. For this plane I had to trim the invasion strips down but according to the instructions I did not trim them down enough. I trimmed 4mm off the height of the stripes and the last white stripe off. I think I should have gone 5 maybe 6mm as the star should just set over the top. Oh well no give backs. The AM decals I'm using has the stars and bars but I used the kit ones. Again they're a bit on the " resilient" side but work well, as stated above the panel lines are a bit deep but the decals work well with Solvaset. I need to clean up a bit more of the Tamiya black panel line wash. didn't notice till I saw it in the photos.
20201107_115842.jpg
20201108_130634.jpg
20201114_162956.jpg
20201114_163009.jpg
20201117_143149.jpg
20201117_144559.jpg
20201117_144606.jpg
20201121_121103.jpg
20201121_121107.jpg
20201122_075441.jpg
20201122_080645.jpg
20201122_103222.jpg
20201122_103251.jpg
20201122_131647.jpg
20201122_131656.jpg
20201122_131705.jpg

And Oh Yeah I do like the kit!
20201122_163949.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Quite well done on Airfix's side. With a painted bird like mine, the panel lines work well.

Concur! I'm a HUGE 357th fan and have all four of those sheets (plus the ancient......and sadly mostly bad) RepliScale sheets from eon's ago. What paints are you using? If Tamiya acrylic, their dedicated RAF Dk. Green and Med. Sea Gray are pretty spot on to my eye. I also have a mix for Tamiya acrylics if you can't get a hold of them. BTW, are you aware the creator/owner of the company who makes those decals lives in Tomball? I've known Scott for decades (I used to live in Houston) and if you have any questions regarding the markings, don't hesitate to get a hold of him!

Concur! I'm a HUGE 357th fan and have all four of those sheets (plus the ancient......and sadly mostly bad) RepliScale sheets from eon's ago. What paints are you using? If Tamiya acrylic, their dedicated RAF Dk. Green and Med. Sea Gray are pretty spot on to my eye. I also have a mix for Tamiya acrylics if you can't get a hold of them. BTW, are you aware the creator/owner of the company who makes those decals lives in Tomball? I've known Scott for decades (I used to live in Houston) and if you have any questions regarding the markings, don't hesitate to get a hold of him!
Vallejo for paint. I tried their med sea grey, and went to US Neutral grey, used there British/US Dark Green for the top.

Vallejo for paint. I tried their med sea grey, and went to US Neutral grey, used there British/US Dark Green for the top.

I hear ya. There was SUCH a wide variation in the "tonal shades" of the RAF colors (both upper and lower) from period photos both B&W and color that nobody will ever tell you you're "wrong"! I've been studying photos of 357th Mustangs for decades and trust me, there is NO 100% "correct" color(s)!

I hear ya. There was SUCH a wide variation in the "tonal shades" of the RAF colors (both upper and lower) from period photos both B&W and color that nobody will ever tell you you're "wrong"! I've been studying photos of 357th Mustangs for decades and trust me, there is NO 100% "correct" color(s)!
That's pretty much true of everyone's paint. Some got worse than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back