**** DONE: GB-48 1/48 Avia B-534 Series III - Military A/C before 1939 (incl Spanish Civil War) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy, the main problem is that the Czech planes of fabric skin were coated with a couple of layers of Cellon lacquer what changed the hue of a paint. Therefore the sample of the colour may seem to be lighter. I had to go to my basement for a SuperModel magazine with a list of Czech paints printed. According to the list of colours for the Czechoslowakian AF in 1926-1939, the Avia planes were painted with Light Khaki FS 34082 .. Humbrol 102 or Tamiya XF61. Other manufacturers used Dark Khaki FS 34079 ... Humbrol 116 or Tamiya XF27.

OK, decision time. As discussed, I've already ruled out anything close to FS 33070 as being much too brown which leaves the two FS numbers suggested above in post 41:

FS34079 34082.JPG

I sprayed out 4 samples of Tamiya greens all appearing in previous posts. Under shop lighting:

21012201.jpg

Direct sunlight:

21012202.jpg

Natural light shade:

21012203.jpg

Coincidentally, XF27 and 61 is what I use for RLM 70/71. In fact, XF27 is labelled as "Black Green" and I think it's a good match for 70. Too dark for my subject. in my opinion. I also think XF 67 is too light which leaves XF58 and 61. The latter is browner and so I think I will go with XF 58 which seems a decent match to FS 34082 and can arguable resemble an unfaded version of the fabric sample. Incidentally, FS 34079, the darker of the two, is often quoted as the match for RAF Dark Green.

With the colour settled, I was able to get the prop finished. On the real aircraft, the prop is all wood and has part of the grain exposed with the rest being covered by camo and squadron colour bands. I started by spraying the whole prop with Tamiya XF-57 Buff. A close study of photos shows 10 plies of alternating light and dark wood bands. I didn't feel that I could achieve this with a paint brush freehand and so cut some very thin slices of tape and carefully placed these on the prop.

21012201.jpg

The tape didn't need to go right to the end as this area will see a band of camo paint. With the masking done, I sprayed the blades again with Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth and peeled the masks.

21012202.jpg

The blades were then gloss coated and set aside to cure (this was a couple of days ago as I studied camo colour options). Now that the camo colour is chosen, today I masked the prop for the remaining paints:

21012203.jpg

The camo colour XF-58 was painted on all exposed areas first. I then realized that I had forgotten that the spinner and inner band should be sprayed with either a bright blue or green for the scheme option that I liked (references and the Eduard instructions are not definitive, saying the colour could be one or the other). I like the bright green for something different and tried to mix something with my Tamiya paints but could not get the colour I wanted. The only thing that I had on hand that looked right was a bottle of Testors green enamel that I use for nav light bulbs. Hmmm, thinned enamel over acrylic.......not ideal. So I tested some on the colour swatches I made earlier and, seeing no reaction, I went ahead and sprayed the enamel over the XF-58 on the spinner and inner band.

Once the enamel had set, I peeled the masks and mixed up a number of Tamiya paints to make something that looked like brass for the leading edge plating. This was hand painted with a fine brush and then the decals were put on. Here's the result:

21012204.jpg

It's my first try at a wood grain prop and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Meanwhile, back on the rest of the model, I finally finished the seam work around the radiator fairing, This area was assembled rather awkwardly with a slightly misaligned fuselage seam and annoying steps at the points where the radiator housing faired into the fuselage and it took me quite a few passes of filing/sanding/filling to get this all put to bed. The lost panel lines and fastener details have been rescribed but there is just one small area not easily seen in the pic that I need to fix before I can spray the silver and so that will be my next focus.

21012205.jpg

Thanks once again for following along and for the great feedback.

A few small details were added to the radiator bottom - a couple of rods made of stretched sprue and what's likely a drain valve made of brass tube. A small amount of sanding has also been done at the wing root to remove a bit of protruding primer.

21012301.jpg

With that done, it was time to lay down a coat of Alclad Semi Gloss Aluminum:

21012303.jpg

Here's the area around the radiator outlet again with the paint on and the mask over the PE grille removed:

21012302.jpg

I'm glad I take pictures because just before posting them, I always seem to remember a forgotten detail. This time, it's a small PE T-shaped piece that replaces a moulded part that I had removed in the radiator outlet. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how this area turned out given the amount of time I spent on it.

Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back