**** DONE: GB-48 1/72 S.M.79 - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good. I was not aware of the clamshell rear gunner area.

Me neither. There is also a sliding screen that comes down to close off the gap to the clamshell doors, I have modelled it slightly open. I have no idea how the gunner operated the gun he must have had a platform to stand on but the windblast must have been horrendous for the gunner and the flight deck crew. Any paperwork not weighted down would go whoosh straight out of the gaping hole.

The propellers need to be aluminium at the front but the backside is black. Had a hell of a job to try and get an even boundary between the two colours. I tried masking but gave up after wasting several feet of tape. Done it freehand it's not perfect but I might have a go another day.
16108933380814115627585457464888.jpg
16108934180397328451826491123787.jpg

I have been wondering about 3 holes in the wing leading edge. 2 to port and 1 starboard. Oil coolers but there's no outlet, carburettor intake but seems a long route to the carburettor, machine guns they would need synchronization. I am stumped.
1610895024507300463768349393401.jpg

There's 3 of what I thought were access panels in roughly the right positions for the oil coolers.

16108996197963052007566543857246.jpg

Now I have to make my mind up wether to open them up or just paint them black.

Problem is the wing is glued up and the plastic is very thin. I think I might have to drill oversized and fit a plastic tube angled.

You could try "shadow" painting, which would probably be acceptable in this scale.
Paint the forward part of the "opening" as a black circle, and then create the "trough" by painting in a darker tone of the camouflage colour(s), perhaps with an even darker tone in the center.
A bit hard to explain, but I can provide a sketch if you think it will help. I used to do this, many years ago, when creating "NACA" ducts on small-scale car and aircraft models, and it looked fine.

You could try "shadow" painting, which would probably be acceptable in this scale.
Paint the forward part of the "opening" as a black circle, and then create the "trough" by painting in a darker tone of the camouflage colour(s), perhaps with an even darker tone in the center.
A bit hard to explain, but I can provide a sketch if you think it will help. I used to do this, many years ago, when creating "NACA" ducts on small-scale car and aircraft models, and it looked fine.

I will give that a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back