**** DONE: GB-50 1:48 F-102A Delta Dagger - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What I like about the Floquil is that the silver partials in it are so small you can't see them avoiding that "metal flake" look. A shame they were discontinued
That's why I like the Testers Metallizer paints. But alas like all good things!!!!!!

I haven't posted an update here in a while but I have been doing a little work on it so here's the work over the last few days

Landing gear parts were painted and a dark wash applied (except the tanks which need another shade of silver)

P1013379.JPG

P1013380.JPG

Today the tanks mid section have received a spray coat of Old Silver.

P1013387.JPG

Now I have to work up the courage to start the decals

The decaling had begun.
The tail and the tanks are done but I will have to touch-up the port side serial backgroung. It wes the first one on and I left the setting solution on a bit too long. It could have been much worse.
It is going to be a slow process as these decals are taking a long time soaking in the water before they want to slide off the water. I

P1013393.JPG
P1013394.JPG
P1013395.JPG

I am very displeased with these Super Scale decals.
The national insignia had to be forced off the paper even after soaking for 15 minuets. The USAF needed the same after soaking even longer but both managed to rip in half. I pieced together the one on the top of the wing but the one below had part of the "S" missing which I had to paint as seen below.

P1013396.JPG
P1013397.JPG
P1013398.JPG

Now for the long and sordid story of the very long "U.S. AIR FORCE" decals on the fuselage sides.
After over an our of soaking they still would not budge so I decided to use the decals from the kit which promptly disintegrated. I went back to the Super Scale decals soaking then in hot water now for another 45 min but no go. I looked through my stash but could find nothing close to the right size so I decided to raid the F-106 Delta Dart in my stash. These went on beautifully.

Here's Super Scale "U.S. AIR FORCE" still firmly stuck to the backing paper after almost 2 hours in the water. I don't know what went wrong with them. I've used Super Scale decals before many times, and ones that were much older than these so I don't think that's it.

P1013399.JPG

Well here it is with all the main decals on. I will say one thing about the Super Scale decals, once you get them off the paper they preformed wonderfully with a quick application of decal solution. Still have a few smaller decals to put on and I don't know how many of the stencils will make it on,

P1013400.JPG
P1013401.JPG

Lots of headaches there. How old are the SS decals? I've had so Hasegawa do the same thing. That being said, it's going along very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back