**** DONE: GB-50 1:48 F-102A Delta Dagger - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Kit: Monogram F-102
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: Super Scale Decals

I started this one on May of 2012 and have been chipping away at it ever since. It's finally time to finish it.

The original build thread can be found here:
1/48 F-102A/F-106 Delta - Unofficial GB

The F-102 is my favorite of the Century Series fighters of the late '50s. It was the first production delta winged aircraft as well as the first production supersonic fighter.

The aircraft depicted is 56-1447. A "Duce" with Case XX wings that served with the 57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron based at Keflavik, Iceland in 1963

Below are several profiles of "447" as well as some photos over its lifetime as well as a F-102 in the same paint scheme on display at The National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton Ohio.

1 3_3.jpg
2a.jpg
2b.jpg
3 F-102A 56-1416, ex-57th FIS Keflavik AB inducted at WPAFB, 17 Mar 1971 Marty Isham.jpg
4 P2177684.JPG
5 P2120862.JPG

A Dart. Now i do like this one. It is a shape a kid like me in the day would have drawn in kindergarten.

Go for it

I had time to start in on this one today, cleaning up the drop tanks and all the small bits and pieces that make up the landing gear. (I need to het some paint on that new newsprint I put down on my bench, its bit distracting in the pictures)

P1013371.JPG
P1013372.JPG

Here's how the model looks now with all the dust cleaned off. All the paint is completed and it is ready for decals. Lots and lots of stencils so it will take a while.

P1013367.JPG
P1013368.JPG
P1013369.JPG

I have a copy of the F-102 manual that shows the access panels, in case anyone needs that info. The 102 was a favorite of mine; we had them at an ANG base about 15 miles away and we occasionally saw them fly over. I especially recall two 102's chasing a T-33A very low over our neighborhood. When I was in high school our scout troop got to go to the base one Sunday and get a close up look at them as well as a ride in a C-54.

Of course my view of the 102 is no doubt is no doubt colored by the fact that when I came on active duty they were no longer in fighter service, so I did not have to work on the things. They were being used as drones.

A man I served with said the 102 unit he was with in Spain had an amusing experience. They were told they would have to send their 102's to Germany to be painted and found they could get the job done by a local Spanish outfit at a good price. They secured permission to use the local company but were surprised when the 102's came out of the paint shop not light gray with black markings but baby blue with dark blue markings! They thought that the

Floquill Old Silver and New Silver, same as I do on all by NMF builds. They went out of production a few years ago but I stocked up on them and have a supply that will hopefully last me until I kick the bucket.

Yeah, when I built my saucer I was looking to do different panels in different shades and ended up using Testors flat aluminum overall with a bit of Testors sliver on some panels as well as some Jet Exhaust in one spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back