**** DONE: GB-50 1:48 Messerschmitt Me509 - Zombie Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Intermediate
Manufacturer: Trumpeter
Model: Me509 Kit No. 02849
Scale: 1:48

This is my 'adopted' ZOMBIE. I found this kit on the consignment shelf at my local hobby shop. The kit had been started by a local modeler and for some reason did not want to finish (ZOMBIE!)? Most all of the parts have been cut from the sprues and the stubs neatly removed. Just the small, easily lost, bits are still attached. A couple of cockpit components have been assembled. As far as I can tell all of the parts are there.

This will certainly be a no comparison build. The Me509, as far as I can gather, was never built. So, paint, camo, decals, etc. are builders choice. I will, though, attempt to create a prototype look along the lines as suggested by fubar57, and that is aluminum skin and maybe a touch of cockpit colors? Probably the top side of the front fuselage will need some paint that would have eliminated glare (color??). The photos of other German prototypes that I have found are somewhat along this line as well. Metal finish, minimal marking; the wing cross(?) decals and the obligatory swastica on the tail. Some have fuselage markings indicating somewhat of a code name? Any scheme input will be welcomed.

Me509 box.jpg

Me509 contents.jpg

An example of the markings on a prototype Bf-109. Doesn't look like glare was being considered on this one?

Messerschmitt-Prototype-Bf-109V13.jpg

I may have to dig around in my decal stash for some markings??

I seem to remember a German member building the Fw190 prototypes and i think he painted them all over RLM 76, but I'm not 100% on that.

Great choice of subject though Ralph

This is another from the 109 prototype site. Looks like RLM 65 (kind-of) to me? But a bit off? In any case, painting a solid color like this woule be interesting as well. Especially the red rudder highlight. But it is 'plane-jainish'! DARN!! Posted this as Wurger was posting his. Same kite though. RLM 02 looks more browish than this artist depicted.
Messerschmitt-Prototype-Bf-109.jpg

I see.. Here is a shot of the Bf 109 V7 prototype, registration D-IJHA . Looking familiar with the coat isn't it?

View attachment 621663
the source: Prototype skins?
Ahhh! This is more like what I would like to do. I see (If I'm correct?) baremetal fuselage, red (?) highlighting on the tail, some color on the front fusalage top and the cowling areas? The prop appears to be the same as the cowling? Now. This IS a 109, would this 'trend' be carried on to future prototypes? Germans are very UN-bendable with rules and regulations. Believe me I know!! Can I assume that I can create my own registration number??

Regarding the registration number yes you can. But as far as the overall coat is concerned ... the Bf 109 in the pic you quoted, was of the RLM 02 though. No bare metal there. It is the light trick because of the paint that was gloss but not matt. so no highlighting on the tail as well.. I would say that your Me-509 should be more like the Me-309. See the image below. As a result the RLM 76 on undersides and sides could be and the RLM 74/75 for tops with the mottling on sides. The spinner RLM 70 or just black. Certainly you may make it of the NMF with the black ( Schwarzgrun) spinner/prop. It may look intersting too. Speaking of the German rules and regulations ... at the end of war there was only one... JRD ( Jak Ręka Dała - how/what the hand allowed) :lol:

me309.jpg

the source: Messerschmitt Me 309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back