**** DONE: GB-50 1:48 Messerschmitt Me509 - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The RS Model offers a couple of nice looking camo schemes both for their kits of night and day fighters. Personally I like the top nachtjager and the very bottom one jager with the green tail band.

View attachment 621671
View attachment 621670
the source:
Me-509 Nachtjager
Messerschmitt Me 509

For bare metal one I suggest checking on the link....

Trumpeter's 1/48 scale Messerschmitt Me 509 by Roland Sachsenhofer

Many thanks, actually to all. I did have the Sachsenhofer link thanks to George. Simple, yet elegant. Doing a theme with a 'patchy' camo would be more interesting though; more so since there are no criteria. So many choices, so many decisions, where's my beer?

I guess I will need to decide if this will be a true prototype style or a 'what-if' it went into production build?

Always you may make the Spanish variant...

WI109-02L.jpg

The source: What-if 109s

Finally got some bench (paint) time. The inner bits have been painted and are ready for assembly. I suppose I am used to the 'hand-holding' offered by Tamiya and Airfix? This Trumpeter kit offers 'hints', not so much direction. A new level of having to think for me. Not withstanding the PE parts; my first kit containing these, and a 'figure it out yourself' one at that. Waiting for fresh PA for attaching seat belts and the pedal features. Jury's still out on the instrument panel decal application though. Third coat of strong Mark-Fit; getting there but may have to do as others and strip decal attempt and dry brush?

I go to sleep at night pondering the scheme? Leaning towards a hybrid metal (majority), one of the RLM colors on the upper fuselage and extending to the canopy, red rudder with swastika in white circle. Maybe something different on the underside?

One of the grand daughters (10) suggested I start a coloring contest! May not be a bad idea??
internal paint.jpg

Because it is the 'What if " model I would suggest making the North Africa camo similar to the one seen below . Instead of the green numbers you may use the red numbers with the black outline or vice versa that was used by the JG27 there. The white or yellow ones could be too. The rudder you may paint either yellow or white but the red could be possible as well. The spinner can be of the dark green, white , or white with red or dark green quarter for instance. Just use google and browse the pics with JG 27 kites in the Africa. There is reallya great sellection of them ...

image001.jpg

the source: scalespot.com - On The Bench - Trumpeter Messerschmitt Me509 1/48

Bf_109Es_JG_27_on_flight_over_North_Africa_c1941.jpg

Me_109E-4Trop_JG27_off_North_African_coast_1941.jpg

Me_109E-4Trop_JG27_off_North_African.jpg

the source: Messerschmitt Bf 109

Progress..not much, but progress. The instrument panel fit was a hacking experience. The thickness of the panel was at least twice the thickness of the cockpit slot that it had to fit into. But being as buried as it is, no one will see. The fitting of the wing assembly is still on going. The wing roots, when 'pressed' into a a tight fit, caused misalignment with the other panel areas on the bottom. I went with the best bottom panel fitting (still needs some putty) and live with the wing root gap. I believe part of the problem is the wing root it much to thick where it joins the fuselage? I also take my hat off to all that have installed PE seat belts and other. No breathing allowed, was a bit of a challenge; put some wear on the knees searching the floor area. Good thing that these parts were gold and not carpet grey.

I am somewhat pleased with the way the instrument decal 'finally' sunk into the instrument panel details. Sorry, the photo is the best I could do!

port front.jpg

port rear.jpg

bottom.jpg

wing root.jpg

instrument.jpg

Anyone have a source for 'weightainium'? I stuffed the available nose area with a piece of wrapped lead as well as putting some behind the pilot seat. It seems that unless I have a solid shape that fits in the nose, no gaps allowed, I can't get this bird to not be a tail sitter. External placement of a weights indicates that I need about .35 oz. (~10G) total on the front. I calculated the volume that I have, about .05 cu-in. If I could pour a perfect fitting slug it would be a little light. But pouring a to-fit slug is a bit much? The 'crappy' try you see is about .25 oz. Maybe if I glue some small beads on the prop cover?

weight.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back