**** DONE: GB-50 1:48 Messerschmitt Me509 - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For me the JG300 blue white blue seems to fit perfectly.

For me the JG300 blue white blue seems to fit perfectly.
I'm certainly making way to much out of this. All I want is just a splash of color! A proper splash though. One limitation is the squadron emblem. The kit comes with what appears to be a JG 3 JG 3.jpgand that carried a white band. I do have a Bf109G-6 that is UN-built and ripe for the decal stealing. But it too has bad choices; JG 52 (yellow band) and JG 27 JG 27.jpg (white again). Although a 'what-if', I'm attempting to introduce it as a 'what-if-it-went-into-production' build. Am I reading correctly that some squadrons did not have the emblems and the JG designations were the color band and the chevrons on the sides? Or, as with these illustrations, are they just an artists taking liberties?

chevron 1.JPG

chevron 2.JPG

chevron 3.JPG

Last edited:
The white and yellow bands in the profiles above weren't the JG ID markings. These were used for marking the theaters of operations. The white one was used for the North Africa and the Mediterranean TO region while the yellow was used for the European TO in the Russia mostly.
Contrary to these bands those you had posted earlier were the ID bands for squadrons of the air defense of the Germany. Most of LW squadrons had their emblems painted either on the engine cowls or on the fuselage side in front of the cockpit. However it could happen there were planes without the emblems painted. Additionally the chevrons were markings of function a pilot was served Eg. .. the JG commander, a tech officer of gruppe ... etc.
The bars , wavy lines or small crosses applied next to the fuselage cross indicated the Gruppe the aircraft belonged to. Just that's it in a nutshell.

The white and yellow bands in the profiles above weren't the JG ID markings. These were used for marking the theaters of operations. The white one was used for the North Africa and the Mediterranean TO region while the yellow was used for the European TO in the Russia mostly.
Contrary to these bands those you had posted earlier were the ID bands for squadrons of the air defense of the Germany. Most of LW squadrons had their emblems painted either on the engine cowls or on the fuselage side in front of the cockpit. However it could happen there were planes without the emblems painted. Additionally the chevrons were markings of function a pilot was served Eg. .. the JG commander, a tech officer of gruppe ... etc.
The bars , wavy lines or small crosses applied next to the fuselage cross indicated the Gruppe the aircraft belonged to. Just that's it in a nutshell.

Thank you. No pun intended; I'm just going to 'wing it'. I suspect now I'll be doing something similar to what is shown on the box art (post 1) and in your post 18 (the last few), band and markings wise, not the camo. Simple is easy!! As has been said before, I can't be wrong, but I would like to be 'close'!

Last time my wife ( can't remember which one ! ) picked out some clothes for me, I actually had to wear a pink shirt ............ oh, the pain !!!

HEY! I have at least 2. But after 58+ years I stopped complaining. Actually stopped after 2. Mans gotta eat, and other stuff!

Big score! I went to my local HS to pick up the 'smoke' paints and wound up digging through their decal 'box'. I not only solved my unit decal problem I picked up a large variety of Luftwaffe numbers, letters and symbols. At a bit over $1 each I think I did well? And yes, I did find a couple of can't-go-home-without' consignments. One, a Trumpeter Vampire FB.MK.9 , which will allow me to join the GB 51 effort.
Luftwaffe Unit decals.jpg

Just a suggestion, but if you want some colour, you could add a British fin flash, like it's a captured machine and maybe some Stars n Bars on it, like these Do 335s...

Tamiya 1/48 Do 335 – in captured markings | iModeler

Dornier Do 335 A-0 by Roland Sachsenhofer (Tamiya 1/48) (hyperscale.com)

Thank you, but I'm going to keep her as an imaginary German first production build. The Do 335 A-0 link did clear up the how on the Sachsenhofer me509 build, shown in post 52, and that is how the variations in color were achieved; multiple bottles of colors and a lot of masking patience. Me, I'm going to try and cheat.

Good catch on those decals - notice though, that they are 1/72nd scale. Also, they appear to be a few years old, so a coat of clear varnish, before use, may be a good idea, tp prevent them breaking up or cracking.
I did. Searched through 100's and most were 1/72. The exceptions being specific US 1/48 craft. I have noticed, as limited as my searching has been, that there seems to be variations in the unit emblem sizes placed around the cockpit and cowel. Many artist renditions though. But, hey, it's something?

I"ll apply a few of the 'non-keepers' to my sacraficial wing paint experiment. Planning on doing that today: playing with adding smoke colors to gloss clear coat to soften the bare metal look.

Last edited by a moderator:
This post probably should be in one the 'Modeling' areas, but since I have this started discussing here I will finish here; the results of trying to tone down that shiny bare metal finish. Below are a couple of shots of the results. I used the two Vallejo colors 70.828 (wood grain) and 70.939 (smoke). Also the Tamiya X-19 (smoke). Attempting to combine two tasks into one did not turn out as I had hoped; adding a touch of a color to the Vallejo gloss coat.

By the time I was able to get a color light enough, using thinner, the consistency was so thin that it sprayed on too wet for an acceptable coat. I then did the traditional method, thinning without mixing with the gloss material. Same result, too wet. Not so with the Tamiya though. I was able to achieve a light enough 'tone' at a sprayable consistency. So it appears I have a good selection of 'wash' colors; Vallejo smoke and wood grain!

The test wing sections sprayed with Vallejo 77.706 White Aluminum.
base silver coat.jpg

The attempts at mixing Vallejo 70.510 and the colors. Top image - Tamiya. LL - Vallejo Smoke. LR - Vallejo Wood Grain. The Tamiya, being not as color intense out of the bottle, did not require as much thinning.
Vellajo mix.jpg

Here is the straight thinning method. TR - Vallejo Smoke. TL Vallejo Wood Grain. Bottom, left side, Tamiya Smoke. I think the Tamiya won.
straight thinned.jpg

Good catch on those decals - notice though, that they are 1/72nd scale. Also, they appear to be a few years old, so a coat of clear varnish, before use, may be a good idea, tp prevent them breaking up or cracking.

A bacon for you!! I tried to lay small one down, as purchased. Result, tiny bits of black decal parts. I do not have any varnish but I do have some Krylon acrylic clear. Selected two more of the same, and applied a couple of light coats. Let them dry. I found out that I need to trim really close due to the now binder coat is part of the whole decal area and I did not want a large acrylic film boundary. Other than that they held. Thank You. I placed a second one, and pushing my luck, dabbed on some Tamiya Mark-Fit Strong to see if these coated versions would form to the panel lines. still drying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back