**** DONE: GB-50 1:48 P-38F-15-LO - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all and onwards we go.

I ended up opting for some spare drop tanks from my old Tamiya P-47M kit as these had nicer details on them. They had been painted in aluminum Alclad already and so it was an easy matter to shoot the camo colours on and scratch them up a bit. I used a darker OD for the uppers since these would not have seen the same amount of fading as the aircraft itself. The stencil decals were scrounged from my spares.

21081602.jpg

The mirrors have been finished but the effect is so-so. The areas around the polished sections received some glossy dark OD for the reason mentioned earlier. Note also that I added silver dots at the cowl fastener locations.

21081603.jpg

The finished exhaust stains:

21081604.jpg

The drop tanks have been hung in place. I elected not to go with the asymmetric load out of one tank and one bomb as this would more likely have been used in 1944 after the 1st FG moved to Italy.

21081605.jpg

At the cockpit, I cut the roll-up side windows, painted and decaled them and stuck them into place. I made the one on the starboard side stick out a little more just cuz. I also enhanced the crash pad and added the red emergency hood release handle which I made from lead wire.

21081606.jpg

At the pointy end, the guns have been installed. The cannon was replaced with bass rod and the MGs are the kit parts. If you build this kit, the instructions for these parts are very unclear and seem to mix up the gun barrel numbers so check your references and don't go by the instructions. The barrels have yet to be painted.

21081601.jpg

All that's left to do now is to modify the canopy hood and glue it into place, add the pitot tube and the props and do some finishing touches. Thanks again for following.

Thanks guys. Yes, Terry, I had thought of other options. My usual go to would be the highly reflective aluminum tape that I have but in this case I was keen to try the chrome pens to see how they would work. As it turned out, they weren't suitable for this application and I'm willing to accept the result as a learning experience rather than sanding the cowl down to bare plastic and starting over. I have made several concessions on this model, most notably leaving the very sparse wheel wells alone and so I'm ok with leaving these mirrors as is.

Yep, good call Andy. I find chrome pens OK for such things as oleo legs, and small, flat, square or rectangular areas, such as windscreen - mounted mirrors, but anything larger can be a bit hit or miss.

Thanks all. On final approach now with the props added. A small issue is that the starboard prop, the one that fits onto the newly cast resin cowl, revealed that the cowl is not quite correctly shaped as there is a bit of a step between the cowl and the spinner. It's not horrible but certainly far from perfect but there's no way I'm going to fix that now.

21081701.jpg

The canopy hood needs modification for the subject plane. As the kit is actually for the E model, I had to add the rear view mirror and rear hinge seen on the F-15. The E had a side-opening hood and no mirror, Here's the hood before:

21081702.jpg

And now after with the added parts. The hinge was build up from card and the mirror, which on the real plane is a moulded hunk of clear perspex, was carved from a piece of clear sprue and the back edge dabbed with a chrome pen. All rather hard to see in these pics.

21081703.jpg
21081704.jpg

That will pretty much do it. After mounting the hood, I'll take some final pics and call this one done.

Top work Andy. This one is coming up a real treat. It's interesting to note your results with the chrome pen - I haven't had the best outcomes with these either, even in smaller applications. :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back