**** DONE: GB-52 1:72 Savoia-Marchetti SM79 - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glad I could help Ralph. Only fuselage of "Black 14" was repainted, so the tail planes were left in mottled pattern. If you look closely on the profiles I've posted above, it is shown as such.

Glad I could help Ralph. Only fuselage of "Black 14" was repainted, so the tail planes were left in mottled pattern. If you look closely on the profiles I've posted above, it is shown as such.

Really have to 'squint' for that!! But I see it now. Thanks again. I also see the mottling on the intake (?). gunners bump (?). sides on the lower fuselage. I thought the under side was a solid grayish?

As you may notice the aimer gondola could be mottled as well as the endings of the engine nacelles protruding the wing trailing edge.

SM79.jpg

the source: the net

No problemo Mate. As memo serves there is a couple of names for the part of aircraft. Just the one I remember from my English courses. :)

nice one, would like to do some Italian subjects but the paint schemes put me off
I'll assume you are referring to the schemes applied 'in general' to this craft as Italian? Hopefully not my current finishing choice :(.

Here are some alternatives. Just pick your favorite nation! I can't verify that all those illustrated are accurate (sometimes creative artistry creeps in) but some food for thought. Although specific to this series, the 79, I suppose there are other links like this for others. Unless you are really heavy into US craft, diversions are usually towards the German ones? Myself, I just had to break that trend; Russian, and more Japanese (which tend to be kind of look-a-lines camo wise).

marchetti 79 nations.jpg

marchetti 79 nations 1.jpg

I think you may follow the Yugoslavian SM.79s with the Green/Brown spots on tops and the Grey on undersides. The camo scheme is easy to make.

I'm finally into trimming plastic and doing initial fits. Following the instructions that came with the kit to identify the relationships. Surprise, the instructions are wrong. The parts are mis-numbered (non existent spru numbers to parts shown). The illustration are, for the most part correct, but not exactly; showing detail that does not exist. I did go to the Scalemates web site and downloaded the older version of the instructions. These seem to be correct; at least part number call out wise. Also, I did find, I don't remember where, an English (printed in England) version that is accurate and better illustrated. Got to be careful on this build for sure.

Plenty of discovered gaps, even at the initial match up level. Glad I got plenty of putty. And as mentioned before, MUCH flash to be trimmed!!!

Has anyone else built this particular kit? I see the Italire builds but no Airfix (1/72).

A 'small' retraction on my complaining about the instructions. Some is due to 'operator error'! I'll blame it on the moving to 4 pages from the 8 that is kind of standard making it more difficult (for us 'older builders') to capture the intent. The 8 pager is very clear.

I hope that the YouTube video will give some insight to the fits!!

You may check on that ... Savoia Marchetti SM79

And here you may watch ..

Many thanks for this. It looks to be an older vintage in that there are components that are seen that are not included in my kit. This also has the bombay doors and bomb tube pieces, whereas mine does not. Same crappy cockpit windshield fit though. This will be a challenge to make right.That and a lot of filler required, as I expect to have to do. Nothing like a challenge though, is there?

Looking at the YouTube again. Do you think these added parts, bombs and doors, ladder, fire extinguisher, misc. bulkhead details, are hand built?

Last edited:
All the Airfix kits for the SM.79 are still the sameone that was released in 1967. They have changed the box only. I have seen the "new tool" kit of 1967 and there weren't any differences in the sprue and parts set of these newer releases. Below you may see the box content of the 2020. I don't think there is any variation.

Regarding these additional parts .. yes IMHO thse are hand scratch built.

Has anyone else built this particular kit? I see the Italire builds but no Airfix (1/72).
Ralph, there are 2 forums I know dealing mostly with Airfix products
1. Airfix Tribute Forum
2. The Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum
IMHO the second showing much better models.
You might check both of them for builds - there are several older threads covering Savoia-Marchetti S.79. For example this one: Kruaxi's Savoia Marchetti SM 79 - The Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum.

All the Airfix kits for the SM.79 are still the sameone that was released in 1967. They have changed the box only. I have seen the "new tool" kit of 1967 and there weren't any differences in the sprue and parts set of these newer releases. Below you may see the box content of the 2020. I don't think there is any variation.

Regarding these additional parts .. yes IMHO thse are hand scratch built.
Yes, I agree, scratch build is the most likely answer. I did look at the 'historical' kits and they do look to have the same cantents. I, personally, don't have the motivation to be that creative. To lazy I guess? I'll build with what I have in the box and hope for a presentable entry.

Good stuff Igor. I've saved the Luftwaffe one for laters
You that know that's funny, because I purchased two, one to build with Luftwaffe colors and the other one in Regia Aeronautica colors. Even bought a set for the Italian version. That's a rare thing because I am hooked on Japanese WWII aircraft and German WWI aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back