**** DONE: GB-52 1:72 Savoia-Marchetti SM79 - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Intermediate
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model: Savoia-Marchetti SM79 - Kit A04007V
Scale: 1:72
Other: Yugoslavian decals, if I can find some?

This kit just drew my eye, it certainly is unique and fits within the 'rules' of the Heavy Hitters build. The kit, although released as a torpedo version, will be done as a bomber version, a role it had in the Yugoslavian service; an SM79K.

The original Royal Yugoslav Air Force operated from 1918 to 1941. At the beginning of WWII the RYAF had over 460 aircraft and 2000 pilots. The RYAF ceased to exist following the Axis invasion, April 6th, 1941 - April 18th, 1941. Many of their aircraft were destroyed or captured. The serviceable captured craft were distributed to other Axis nations including the newly formed Croatian air force. But many were also flown to other countries, such as Russian, where they were put into service.

My intention is to finish with the Yugo markings, however if too difficult to find those markings I may shift to the Russian version or possibly the Croatian. From what I have found so far, camo wise, the pattern and the colors are much the same. If I understand correctly, the Russian just replaced the national markings, leaving the paint schemes alone?

The kit.The box is (released), a 2020 version; but there has only been one 'new parts' release, 1967. Plenty of new boxes. The image of the sprus, as shaken out of one bag, is an indication of the age. I had not separated any of the parts, this is how they 'shook out'. Very heavy flash, and a bent prop.

Marchetti 79K Box Art.jpg

Marchetti 79K Sprues.jpg

Marchetti 79K Instructione OUT.jpg

Marchetti 79K Instructione IN.jpg

My initial research turned up this camo scheme, associated with the RYAF.

Marchetti 79K Yugo Service.jpg

A color version of the above. The Yugo emblems are identifiable on the under wings.

Marchetti Yugoslav 79K.jpg

Another Yugo version. The camo scheme is similar to the Russian version that I have found.

Marchetti Yugoslav 79K-2.jpg

Russian service 79K

former-yraf-savoia-marchetti-sm-79-with-soviet-af-1941.jpg

An interesting detail on the camo schemes, at least on the Italian side. There seems to have been a wide variation of patterns and colors that were used, and specific to aircraft. I'm not sure how that translates to units shipped to other countries? Italy issued a new standard (1941-1943), Tavola-10, for colors and markings. I'm not sure what Yugo 1941 units were under these standards? Only important in the the paint colors changed and I will need to decide what 'vintage' 1941 I will be finishing. Although, speculation, most of the Yugo 79K units were produced pre-1941?

That was informative. I didn't know the SM-79 was used in Russian service.

It's not clear, at least from the limited articles that I have read, if the 79K was used in combat by the Russians. The link, below, is one resource for the Yugo pilots role with Russia. This is the source of the above photo. This article indicated Russia using the 79K as a transport.

Ralph, I have both this and the italera kits in my stash. Bought the Airfix kit first, had a look in the box and ordered the Italera kit.
I think you've got your work cut out for you

That was informative. I didn't know the SM-79 was used in Russian service.

There were four SM.79s captured and used by the VVS. One was servicing in the 69th IAP. Two were used by the 5th BAP and the fourth one by the 299th ShAP in 1941. And that's the fourth one seen in the pic above.

Regarding the camo scheme seen in the B&W diagram above ... actually it is the camo scheme introduced for the Regia Aeronautica in 1937 and IMHO it shouldn't be associated with the RYAF. All pics of the Yougoslavian SM.79s I have seen so far, indicate a couple of different schemes also used by the RA. But none of the Yougoslavian SM.79 was wearing the camo layout seen in the diagram. That lets me believe the scheme wasn't used for the RYAF or there was a small number of them painted in that way.

There were four SM.79s captured and used by the VVS. One was servicing in the 69th IAP. Two were used by the 5th BAP and the fourth one by the 299th ShAP in 1941. And that's the fourth one seen in the pic above.

Regarding the camo scheme seen in the B&W diagram above ... actually it is the camo scheme introduced for the Regia Aeronautica in 1937 and IMHO it shouldn't be associated with the RYAF. All pics of the Yougoslavian SM.79s I have seen so far, indicate a couple of different schemes also used by the RA.

I really want to avoid having to do the camo as shown on the box art! The two shown below are preferred. The right one most preferred! But it does look like the B/W image? So confusing. Trying to separate the actual colors and patters with what just might be an artists interpretation. It 'appears' that the, below right image, looks similar to the Russian photo?

marchetti-yugoslav-79k-2-jpg.jpg
marchetti-yugoslav-79k-jpg.jpg

Ralph, I have both this and the italera kits in my stash. Bought the Airfix kit first, had a look in the box and ordered the Italera kit.
I think you've got your work cut out for you

Yep! a challenge alright. But as you can see, putting it together and making it look right may be the least of my issues. Selecting the 'correct' colors and schemes seems to be a bigger challenge now. Although I believe I have the clors covered, ordered one of each that were ever used on the SM-79 regardless of specification dates.

I really want to avoid having to do the camo as shown on the box art! The two shown below are preferred. The right one most preferred! But it does look like the B/W image? So confusing. Trying to separate the actual colors and patters with what just might be an artists interpretation. It 'appears' that the, below right image, looks similar to the Russian photo?

View attachment 647024View attachment 647025

Ralph,

Judging but all the pic found via the net the camo was the three-colour scheme that consited of the Sand on tops and the Green and the Brown small spots over that Sand. the undersides got the grey colour.

And the addition to the RYAF camo schem for the SM.79 ...

View attachment 647019
View attachment 647021
View attachment 647022
View attachment 647023
the source: the net.

The 'splotchy' scheme is probably more forgiving. If I have read the specifications correctly, the patterns were quite varied, not specific in patterns. Just the colors used were specific and with a 'general' camo application guidance? I may be missing something here, but this is what I have found. My confusion continues though. I don't recognize the 'spotchy' pattern that's on the suggested image above. Maybe an interpretation of C10B (see below).

Source: Regia Aeronautica and ANR Color
and Camouflage Schemes
Vince Tassone

CMPR Camouflage Schemes : 1936-1943

How to Read Table 4: Next to each camouflage chip is a list of the corresponding colors. The first color corresponds to the base color followed by the first mottle color, the second mottle color and finally the underside color, e.g., C1 Scheme:

Giallo Mimetico 1-2-3-4Base Color
Verde Mimetico 2-3-53192Mottle Color 1
Marrone Mimetico 2-3-53193 or Bruno MimeticoMottle Color 2
Grigio MimeticoUndersurface Color

79 scheme 1.JPG

79 scheme 3.JPG

79 scheme 4.JPG

79 scheme 5.JPG

79 scheme 6.JPG

79 scheme 7.JPG

79 scheme 8.JPG

79 scheme 9.JPG

79 scheme 10.JPG

Attachments

• 79 scheme 2.JPG
    79 scheme 2.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 31
Your profile of white "23" is also found in this book

In the book is also stated that:

"Shortly before the outbreak of war, several aircraft were experimentally overpainted on the upper surfaces in a two tone camouflage of dark green (approximately FS 24079) and chocolate brown (FS 20118). The colors applied were domestically made and also used on license-built Blenheims and Do 17Kas. Existing photographic evidence proves that 'White 23' of 213.E acquired such a scheme, while 'Black 14' of 262.E was thus coloured over the fuselage only and not on top of its wings."

24079.jpg
20118.jpg

The 'splotchy' scheme is probably more forgiving. If I have read the specifications correctly, the patterns were quite varied, not specific in patterns. Just the colors used were specific and with a 'general' camo application guidance? I may be missing something here, but this is what I have found. My confusion continues though. I don't recognize the 'spotchy' pattern that's on the suggested image above. Maybe an interpretation of C10B (see below).

Source: Regia Aeronautica and ANR Color
and Camouflage Schemes
Vince Tassone

CMPR Camouflage Schemes : 1936-1943

How to Read Table 4: Next to each camouflage chip is a list of the corresponding colors. The first color corresponds to the base color followed by the first mottle color, the second mottle color and finally the underside color, e.g., C1 Scheme:

Giallo Mimetico 1-2-3-4Base Color
Verde Mimetico 2-3-53192Mottle Color 1
Marrone Mimetico 2-3-53193 or Bruno MimeticoMottle Color 2
Grigio MimeticoUndersurface Color

View attachment 647036
View attachment 647034
View attachment 647033
View attachment 647032
View attachment 647031
View attachment 647030
View attachment 647029
View attachment 647028
View attachment 647027

A PM sent.

In the book is also stated that:

"Shortly before the outbreak of war, several aircraft were experimentally overpainted on the upper surfaces in a two tone camouflage of dark green (approximately FS 24079) and chocolate brown (FS 20118). The colors applied were domestically made and also used on license-built Blenheims and Do 17Kas. Existing photographic evidence proves that 'White 23' of 213.E acquired such a scheme, while 'Black 14' of 262.E was thus coloured over the fuselage only and not on top of its wings."

View attachment 647041View attachment 647043

Close looking at the Black 14 shows the 'mottling' on the engine cowlings, and I suppose, as you indicated, the wings as well. Now that may be a fun camo project? A hybrid to be certain!

Black 14.JPG

I will use the FS numbers as referenced in the Tassone publication. These are the colors that I have gotten to accomplish most Italian WWII builds.

fs 34052.JPG
Verde Olivia Scuro 2, Dark Olive Green. The Vallejo match attempt 71.292
v 71-292.JPG

fs 34227.JPG
Verde Mimetico 53192, Camo Green 51392. The Vallejo match attempt 71.126
v 71-126.JPG

fs 33434.JPG
Giallo Mimetico, Camo Yellow 3. The Vallejo match attempt 71.107
v 71-107.JPG

fs 36307.JPG
Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1, Light Blue Grey. The Vallejo match attempt 71.103
v 71-103.JPG

fs 36231.JPG
Grigio Mimetico, Camo Grey. The Vallejo match attempt 71.339
v 71-339.JPG

fs 30219.JPG
Marrone Mimetico 53193, Camo Brown. The Vallejo match attempt 71.125
v 71-125.JPG

fs 30219.JPG
Nocciola Chiaro 4, Light Hazel 4. The Vallejo match attempt 71.079
v 71-079.JPG

Attachments

• fs 30140.JPG
    fs 30140.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 36
Joining the discussion a little late...
First of all, nice choice of subject Ralph. I'll try to give a short answer to your questions.

All SM.79's delivered to Yugoslavia were painted in "mottled" three-tone Italian camouflage already discussed. In the attachment bellow you'll find scanned pages from Boris Ciglić's book covering the camouflage of Yugoslav SM.79s in some detail. Shortly before the war few aircraft were experimentally painted in upper surfaces in two tone camouflage of dark green and brown. The colors were domestically made and also used on license-build Blenheims and Do 17Ks. Two aircraft that were painted this way are known with certainty - "Black 14" of 81st Air Group (81. VG, VG=Vazduhoplovna Grupa) and "White 23" of 67.VG. "Black 14" was thus painted on the fuselage only, keeping the mottled camouflage on the wings and engines. "White 23" was completely overpainted with the new camouflage on all upper surfaces.

Both of these aircraft had interesting fates. "Black 14" was flown by it's crew to the Middle East fallowing the collaps of Yugoslav Kingdom and ended up serving in RAF. "White 23" was captured by the Germans and received first provisional and then full German markings and a code CQ+HQ. For a short time it was used by Luftflotte 4 and then handed to the "Zrakoplovstvo NDH" (Air Force of Independent State of Croatia). It was lost in anti partisan action near Kupreš in 1942.

The last profile shows one of the Yugoslav Savoias flown to Soviet Union after the defeat. The aircraft received crude patches of black color (evidently hand brushed) and red star insignia on tail and wings.

Source of all scanned materials and information: "Savioia Marchetti SM.79 - The Yugoslav Story Operational Record 1939-1947" by Boris Ciglić

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    671.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 14_01.JPG
    14_01.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 69
  • 14_02.JPG
    14_02.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 23_01.JPG
    23_01.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 23_02.JPG
    23_02.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 23_03.JPG
    23_03.JPG
    648.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 24_soviet.JPG
    24_soviet.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Joining the discussion a little late...
First of all, nice choice of subject Ralph. I'll try to give a short answer to your questions.

All SM.79's delivered to Yugoslavia were painted in "mottled" three-tone Italian camouflage already discussed. In the attachment bellow you'll find scanned pages from Boris Ciglić's book covering the camouflage of Yugoslav SM.79s in some detail. Shortly before the war few aircraft were experimentally painted in upper surfaces in two tone camouflage of dark green and brown. The colors were domestically made and also used on license-build Blenheims and Do 17Ks. Two aircraft that were painted this way are know with certainty - "Black 14" of 81st Air Group (81. VG, VG=Vazduhoplovna Grupa) and "White 23" of 67.VG. "Black 14" was thus painted on the fuselage only, keeping the mottled camouflage on the wings and engines. "White 23" was completely overpainted with the new camouflage on all upper surfaces.

Both of these aircraft had interesting fates. "Black 14" was flown by it's crew to the Middle East fallowing the collaps of Yugoslav Kingdom and ended up serving in RAF. "White 23" was captured by the Germans and received first provisional and then full German markings and a code CQ+HQ. For a short time it was used by Luftflotte 4 and then handed to the "Zrakoplovstvo NDH" (Air Force of Independent State of Croatia). It was lost in anti partisan action near Kupreš in 1942.

The last profile shows one of the Yugoslav Savoias flown to Soviet Union after the defeat. The aircraft received crude patches of black color (evidently hand brushed) and red star insignia on tail and wings.

Source of all scanned materials and information: "Savioia Marchetti SM.79 - The Yugoslav Story Operational Record 1939-1947" by Boris Ciglić

Wow!! Just proves the depth of knowledge found on this forum site. Very much appreciated, the untangling of the camo schemes.

While trying to avoid the Italian 'mottled' scheme over all, just doing the Yugo White 23 scheme seems like, well, cheating. I will then 'attempt' to recreate Black 14 as it was in the Yugo service. I need the challenge of the mottling. At least it will be on a flat (wings) surface and easier to control. Let the fun begin...

Would the tops of the tailplanes have kept the mottled patters as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back