**** DONE: GB-53 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had to try the MyHeritage site and their photo colorizer. Actually produced a much better rendition. A bit surprised that the reds did not appear? Maybe the star on the spinner was actually white? Although the fusalage star show grayish as well. The pilots face color is very good. When expanded (on the MyHeritage site) one can see (possibly) what appears to be a banged up right eye?
View attachment 660247

Nice...

Ralph Haus Ralph Haus ... regarding the star on the spinner ... if you compare the shade of the star to the one on the fin you may find the tone of the colour almost the same. Well ... IMHO the star there was of the red. The star on the spinner wasn't the standard VVS marking and was applied in the regiment by the maintenance crew using any red paint they had.

Secondly, although these pics I have posted above show the same I-16 kite, the pilots in the cockpit are two different guys.
The source of the all pictures here : фотоархив . Частный архив военно-исторической фотографии

The top images presents Alexander Vasilievich Zakrevsky. Here his face and the orginal shot with the correct caption.
i16_24_1.jpg
103071.jpg

The bottom picture shows Vladimir Mikhailovich Gaidov. Here his face and the orginal shot labeled correctly.
i16_24_3.jpg
10307.jpg

And here is the orginal copy of the image with Vladimir Mikhailovich Gaidov in the cockpit .. as you may notice there is nothing on his face at the eye area. Also I can't see any glasses.

15639.jpg

To compare here his enlarged face from all of the images here. IMHO the thing on his face was a kind of a dust while scanning retouched as the part of pilot's hat or hair.
i16_24_4.jpg
i16_24_4b.jpg
i16_24_4a.jpg

Now to attach the small bits and color detail them. Not a very detailed model ( a bit disappointing) but is finishing out well for what it is.
A side comment. If the Vallejo colors are anywhere close to the actual factory painted colors, then these aircraft would have appeared as a virtual neon signs in the sky. Wow they a vivid!

GB53 I-16 T24 phase 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back