**** DONE: GB-53 1/72 Fw189 A-2 - Eastern Front (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bdefen

Senior Airman
Nov 26, 2019
Boise, Idaho USA
User name: bdefen
First name: Byron
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer/Model: Italeri Kit 1404, Fw 189 A-1/A-2
Additions: None as of 2/12/22

Attachments

• 1  Model Box.jpg
    1 Model Box.jpg
    955.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 189A-2 NAGr 15.jpg
    189A-2 NAGr 15.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Instructions, decals.JPG
    Instructions, decals.JPG
    855.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Sprues 1.JPG
    Sprues 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • Sprues 2.JPG
    Sprues 2.JPG
    885.2 KB · Views: 44
Good choice.
If you're going to use the scheme on the box top, I did that one a while back in group build #10 only using the old 1/48 MPM kit. That particular aircraft s the only FW 189 still in existence

Good choice.
If you're going to use the scheme on the box top, I did that one a while back in group build #10 only using the old 1/48 MPM kit. That particular aircraft s the only FW 189 still in existence
I'm planning on the color scheme of the version shown on my initial post.

I've got a book by a German recon flyer. Der Flug zum Don. Recounts his career from liaison with the Rumanians and early pre-invasion flights over the Soviet Union, then his experiences during the war on the Russian Front to the Battle of Kursk. His description of flying into a snowstorm is positively harrowing.

I've got a book by a German recon flyer. Der Flug zum Don. Recounts his career from liaison with the Rumanians and early pre-invasion flights over the Soviet Union, then his experiences during the war on the Russian Front to the Battle of Kursk. His description of flying into a snowstorm is positively harrowing.
I'll bet flying into a snowstorm was harrowing!! Does your book ID the aircraft he flew during his service? I really like the Fw 189.

Well, here's my first build-progress post. Began some hand painting of the cockpit, landing gear, etc, and I found that the port upper wing part is warped. I'd like to straighten it out a bit, anyway, to ensure the completed wing is properly flat. See attached.

I've used a heat gun to straighten a tank model cannon barrel after assembly, but I'm reluctant to try that on this airplane model part, without some expert consultation (that's YOU guys and gals out there.

So, my first GB advice request is: What's the best way to straighten a warped wing part?

Thanks in advance.

6 Warped upper port wing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid things that you can't control. All plastics differ so you need to do something that suits your material. Bring a pot of water to near boil and get a piece of sprue. Hold the sprue with pliers and immerse it in the water for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. Remove and bend the sprue with your hands. It should bend easily without braking and retain its shape when the pressure is removed. That's the temp that you want for straightening your part.

There is range of temperatures that suit most plastics that I posted somewhere on this forum. I'll need to go find that but I can't remember where the thread is.

Found the post: **** DONE: GB-48 1/48 SBD-1 Dauntless - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII

175 to 180F seemed to work on my Dauntless. Push the sprue against the bottom of the pot of water to bend it rather than pulling it out and bending with your hands. Good luck.
Looked at both links. I'll test the sprues at the temperature steps described, and see if I can fix that wing.
Thank a million all for responding and helping. I'll follow up with my results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back