**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-38J-25 - Thunderbolts and Lightnings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the comments and likes guys. A couple of things done over the last two days, just haven't had the time to post. First off, I masked and sprayed the OD anti-glare panels. For the colour, I used equal parts of Tamiya XF-62 and XF-49. It looks a bit light in the photos due to lighting but I'm good with it seeing it with my own eyes. The finish was deliberately left a bit patchy, just cuz.

23021002.jpg

Masks removed:

23021003.jpg

Then it was on to the turbos. These were rather fun and involved lots of colours. First, these were sprayed a mix of Tamiya XF-56 Steel and XF-7 Red in a 5 to 1 ratio per Tamiya's suggestion but I hated that - too metallicky-pinky, so I added another part or two of XF-54 Red Brown and sprayed that as a base colour. I then wet the turbos and sprinkled salt on them. When the salt was dry, I shot some very thin XF-54 over the parts. I then got rid of some of the salt with a stiff brush and shot some very thin XF-50 Field Blue over select parts to represent heat discolouration. Then all the salt was brushed off and silver dry-brushed over the raised joint clamps. Someone asked about how I intended to do these but I can't remember who. Anyway, there's the detailed descripion. I have yet to drip some panel wash into the turbo wheel to make it satnd out more.

23021001.jpg
23021004.jpg

Thanks again for looking in. I apreciate it.

Thanks for the comments and likes guys. A couple of things done over the last two days, just haven't had the time to post. First off, I masked and sprayed the OD anti-glare panels. For the colour, I used equal parts of Tamiya XF-62 and XF-49. It looks a bit light in the photos due to lighting but I'm good with it seeing it with my own eyes. The finish was deliberately left a bit patchy, just cuz.

View attachment 706392

Masks removed:

View attachment 706393

Then it was on to the turbos. These were rather fun and involved lots of colours. First, these were sprayed a mix of Tamiya XF-56 Steel and XF-7 Red in a 5 to 1 ratio per Tamiya's suggestion but I hated that - too metallicky-pinky, so I added another part or two of XF-54 Red Brown and sprayed that as a base colour. I then wet the turbos and sprinkled salt on them. When the salt was dry, I shot some very thin XF-54 over the parts. I then got rid of some of the salt with a stiff brush and shot some very thin XF-50 Field Blue over select parts to represent heat discolouration. Then all the salt was brushed off and silver dry-brushed over the raised joint clamps. Someone asked about how I intended to do these but I can't remember who. Anyway, there's the detailed descripion. I have yet to drip some panel wash into the turbo wheel to make it satnd out more.

View attachment 706394View attachment 706395

Thanks again for looking in. I apreciate it.
It's like looking at a photo of the actual assembly.

Thank-you gentlemen, and Terry.

Made a bit of headway today by finishing off the basic NMF. Only two colours used - Alclad II Duraluminum and Aluminum.

View attachment 706141

Not 100% happy though. I got some minor orange-peeling in spots so I may sand these down and reapply the Aluminum.

View attachment 706143

The nose is red and has what appears to be a black patch over the cannon panel. This was a lengthy masking job and I needed to touch up a couple of spots with a brush but the area turned out alright.

View attachment 706142

A shot from a bit farther away shows the nose area again. The period pics of this plane show a distinct lighter shade for the gun access doors and the wing fairing. I kinda got that with the paint but I think I will schmutz up the area a bit more.

View attachment 706144

Next up are the OD anti-glare panels. Thanks for tagging along.
I believe the lighter areas are painted silver lacquer on the original aircraft. This can also be seen on the leading edge of the wing and parts of the tail boom to help prevent corrosion.

Thanks Davecww1 Davecww1 . "Lighter areas" of what? Not sure what you are saying.
You noted the gun doors and wing fairing appear to be different colors in the period photos, those are two of the areas that were painted aluminum lacquer and look noticeably lighter than the natural metal areas.

Hi guys. Was about to start the dceals and notice the code letters are huge, to thed extent that the "H5" almost wraps around half the boom. Going to need to think about this....

Thanks guys. Gonna have to scan the Sky decals (beware of these) reduce and save as vector files, then send to my cutter to make masks. I thought of making some decals but I'm not convinced that black on silver will turn out well.

Started the decals anyway. LOTS of tiny stencils so far so nothing interesting to show yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back