**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-38J-25 - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much guys, very aprpeciated. Nothing done today as I was working on my 1:1 scale Mosquito but hopefully I'll tackle a panel wash tomorrow.

Thanks again. Spent a good chunk of the afternoon applying a panel wash. I used my own concoction rather than risk that paint-eating Tamiya stuff and I'm happy with the way it behaves. Black pastel shavings dissolved in water with a couple of drops of dish soap. The following pics are both to show status as well as to give me an idea how things look up close. Seems I can apply a bit more wash around the engine areas.

23021901.jpg
23021902.jpg

The anti-glare panels got some scuffs in the form of Tamiya Khaki applied in small blotches with an eye-liner brush. They were then flat coated. I really like the polished mirrors that Tamiya provides in the form of reflective decals. The one below went well but I made the mistake of using a setting solution on the first one and it showed every tiny wrinkle.

23021904.jpg

I also noted the black fairings around the gun openings so hand painted those as well. A bit rough in the close-ups but I'm not sure I can do much better.

23021903.jpg

As you can see, the cockpit has been unmasked so the next step will be to install the armour plate and pilot's seat. That and a bit more grunge and exhaust stains to finish her off. Talk soon.

Once again, thanks.

Weathering done today starting with exhaust stains. Very thin shots of Tamiya Deck Tan, Earth Brown, and Flat Black in that order.

23022102.jpg

More panel wash and grime around engine areas using black pastel.

23022103.jpg
23022104.jpg

Did the props too but not happy with them. A bit overdone so I will go back and "unweather" them a bit.

23022101.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Good one Rob and thanks all for watching.

Finishing off and installing the pilot seat were next on the menu. I had some Eduard steel belts still in stock so decided to use those but before folding the shoulder straps over, I made a back cushion out of a piece of shaped styrene card. Tamiya tape was stuck over that and creased as I applied it to make it look wrinkly. I then printed the "U.S. AIR CORPS" decal I made for my B-25 and applied that over the Tamiya Khaki paint and sprayed all with Tamiya Flat Clear.

23022302.jpg

And here's the finished seat in place. The roll-up windows have also been set in place with PVA glue.

23022303.jpg
23022304.jpg

Down to the final punch list items now: Cockpit latch handle (scratch built add), brake lines in the u/c, glue the antenna back on, crew ladder, and a final inspection.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back