**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47C - Thunderbolts and Lightning

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK so here we go, the P-47C has two fewer cowl flap than the D, the Tamiya is a D and it comes with two sets of cowl flaps, one open and one closed. I took the closed and cut the two bottom flaps off and then did the same for the open. The close to be melded back into the cowl.

the next question is, should this curved portion be there?

There seems to be sum questions as most drawings show it. This is a blow up of the one from P-47 In Detail and Scale from Bert Kinzey.

I have a look at the actual air plane.

I don't see it! Here is another C, still don't see it.

SOOOO! We're going without it. Clipped and sanded it down and glueed it on, covered in Mr. Suracer 500 and then get to molding here in place.

I think my master thinks I'm crazy, but I feed her so she don't care!

The plane, well at least in one of it's many iterations.

I added the flaps in the up position, one, most Thunderbolts on the ground show them up, two though it would be less of a hassle. Well I guess I was the sucker!!!! There was a major lip on each side on the top. see below.

This caused me to pull out the Evergreen. I cut two section to fit the gap and glued them in place. Once dry I started shaping it to my needs. Got most of it cleaned up and used Mr. Sufacer 500 to clean things up more and sanded to needs.

Back to the cowling. it works but I mah need to curse at it while getting it on. I won't really know until get to the final install how much clean up work there is.

Painting the Identification strips. Calles for 12" stripes, in 1/48th that should be about .25 (1/4)" or 6.35MM. I rounded to 6mm and used a 5mm with a 1mm tape spacer Tamiya tape. then I used wide Tamiya tape to mask with. Gotta sauy I love'n me some Hataka paint. goes on so smoothly!

Well that my present update.... More to follow.

Think you'll find one there?
I ordered this set just because of the 60"+ insignias for the wings. P-47 uses the hugh wing insignia. I can source out the side ones but not the wings. That's is I go with the later markings.

Earlier would be the yellow surround star with just the blue roundel and star on the top and bottom of the left wing.

Unfortunately, There is a cold front coming in and my right shoulder hurts like hell and I can't do much at all right now.
Celebrated my bday in freaking pain, Oh just gotta laugh

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread