**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47D - Thunderbolts and Lightnings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice bit of comparison showing and thinning the exhaust shroud, not and easy task with the confined space. Also good to see you back at the bench. :D

Thanks, Wojtek and Vic, and yes, it was a bit tricky.

Some more preparation, with the trestle locating sockets drilled out, some light re-engraving of selected panel lines, and a start on opening-up the oil cooler exhaust outlets and deflector ramps.
The kit has extremely fine, engraved panel lines, and some needed enhancing slightly. Further work will be done with pencil and light washes once painted.

Pic 1. Trestle locating socket drilled out on each fuselage half.
Pic 2. The main access hatch on the starboard side needed some enhancing, difficult to see here.
Pic 3. Cowl flaps and cowling panel lines have been lightly re-engraved, again not easily apparent.
Pic 4. The "solid" oil cooler exhaust and deflector ramp as provided in the kit.
Pics 5 and 6. Work underway opening the vents. These are first drilled, and then cut and filed. It's slow work, and there's still a lot to do on this area.

Apologies for the poor pics - I had difficulty holding the camera due to stiff hands and wrists.
I hope to be back some time tomorrow with a further up-date .................

P-47 build No2. 009.JPG
P-47 build No2. 005.JPG
P-47 build No2. 006.JPG
P-47 build No2. 001.JPG
P-47 build No2. 008.JPG
P-47 build No2. 010.JPG

Thanks Glenn.
Most of the drilling and cutting is now done, and just needs some clean-up when I get some new scalpel blades (on order).
About to start on the cockpit, adding missing items to the side walls, eg, throttle quadrant and oxygen regulator etc, which need to be scratch built, as does the seat frame, head armour and headrest pad.
I might have something to show later.

Thanks Greg.
Sorry, no up-date photos just yet. Work has been slow, and my hands and wrists are a bit too stiff today after attempting relatively precise cutting with an old scalpel blade. I'll get more done when the new blades arrive, and hope to post some pics over the weekend.

Made a start on the cockpit, using the spare Academy parts that came with one of the Arii kits.
The smaller parts, such as the throttle quadrant and oxygen regulator were missing, so these have been scratch built, as have the throttle control rods. The latter look a bit "heavy" now that they're in place, so I'll probably replace them with stretched sprue.
The throttle, mixture, and prop RPM levers, and other small details, will be made and added once the walls have been painted.
The side walls and front edge of the Academy seat have been thinned down, and the frame added, using plastic rod. A seat harness will be added later, made from wine bottle foil.
Not shown in the pics is the scratch-built head armour and head rest pad, which will be fitted once the fuselage halves are joined, as final work on the shape can't be done until it's in place.

I hope to get more done later today and might have some pics tonight.

P-47 build 2. 002.JPG
P-47 build 2. 006.JPG
P-47 build 2. 008.JPG
P-47 build 2 002.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back