**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47D - Thunderbolts and Lightnings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Almost finished with the cockpit assembly.
A seat harness has been added, made from the foil from scalpel blade packs, and the seat adjusting lever has been fitted, made from stretched sprue.
A decal from the Hasegawa kit has been used on the instrument panel, and has settled into the raised detail reasonably well, although there are a couple of "kinks" hare and there, but it looks acceptable to the naked eye. (a 'Yahu' instrument panel will be used on the Hasegawa kit build).
The detail painting is not up to my usual standard, as my hands and wrists are quite stiff and awkward at the moment.
Once this has all set. the levers for the throttle, prop and mixture will be added, again using stretched sprue with PVA for the knobs, and the assembly can be fitted, and the fuselage halves joined.
I might get this done later today, if my hands relax a bit.

P-47 build 2 032.JPG
P-47 build 2 034.JPG
P-47 build 2 035.JPG
P-47 build 2 041.JPG
P-47 build 2 045.JPG

Got the levers done for the throttle, prop and mixture, and the cockpit installed, with the fuselage now joined. Note that the throttle has the 'ball' type grip, formed using built-up blobs of PVA - the 'twist' type was fitted to those aircraft with the K-14 gyro gunsight. Apologies for the poor cockpit photo, which has been lightened to allow at least some view inside. I found it almost impossible to successfully light the interior for this shot.

Whilst the fuselage is setting, work has started on the wings, with some light re-scribing of selected panel lines, as the mouldings are very fine, and would possibly disappear under paint.
The locations for the landing lamp and I.D. lamps were just very finely engraved, so the landing lamp has been drilled out and backed with plastic card internally, and the I.D. lamps countersunk. These will be painted and glazed once the model is painted. The kit parts show the I.D. lamps beneath both wings, but they should only be beneath the starboard wing.
Although the kit parts correctly depict the fixed balance tab on the starboard aileron, there is also a trim tab here. The trim tab was only fitted to the port aileron, therefore the actuator has been removed, and the tab panel lines filled with CA and then filed and sanded once set.
A few small sink marks gave also been filled with CA and sanded, on the forward fuselage, the cowling, and both wings.

The pics below show how things look to date, and I hope to post a further up-date tomorrow.

P-47 build 2 060.JPG
P-47 build 2 063.JPG
P-47 build 2 046.JPG
P-47 build 2 049.JPG
P-47 build 2 052.JPG

Thanks very much chaps.
Still working on a few little details on the fuselage and wings, before moving on to the engine and cowling, and hope to have another up-date later today.

Made some good progress during a long stint at the bench today, although my hands are aching now !

The tail wheel well has been fitted, and the cover over the opened turbo exhaust is fitted and has been cleaned up since the photos were taken.
The kit has the radio mast located on top of the fuselage spine, but it should be slightly offset to port, therefore a new slot has been cut. Any gaps apparent once the mast is fitted will be filled with melted sprue or PVA.
A headrest has been made and fitted, and the engine and inside the cowling halves have been painted, with a "dirty" wash applied.
The engine and cowls are assembled, and were attached to the fuselage after thinning the top, inner edges of the cowl flaps, in order to give a better appearance.
Pics below show the work done so far.
Next step was to make a new prop, which will be shown in the following post.

P-47 build 2 064.JPG
P-47 build 2 075.JPG
P-47 build 2 076.JPG
P-47 build 2 071.JPG
P-47 build 2 079.JPG
P-47 build 2 081.JPG
P-47 build 2 084.JPG

The prop in the Arii kit is the Curtis Electric type, and as the model subject had a Hamilton Standard prop, I needed to make one.
I do have two "Ultracast" resin HS props, which I manged to get before "Ultracast" ceased exporting to the UK, and I also have a Monogram HS prop, but as these will be required for further P-47 builds, I "adapted" the kit prop, using the hub and some spare blades from an Airfix Mosquito kit.
The pics below show the sequence of "adaptation". The overall diameter is very slightly smaller than it should be, around 2 scale inches, but it shouldn't be noticeable once in place.
Note to anyone intending to build the Arii / Otaki kit - the prop shaft needs to be shortened by around 3mm, otherwise the prop sits far too far forward.

The final two pics show work continuing on the wings, with the nav lamps underway, and the gun camera port drilled out. The lamps will be created by filing and sanding clear sprue, fixed in place using CA. The gun camera port has yet to be filed to a square shape.
All being well, I might have further progress to show tomorrow.

P-47 Build No 2 032.jpg
P-47 Build No 2 034.jpg
P-47 Build No 2 035.jpg
P-47 Build No 2 036.jpg
P-47 Build No 2 039.jpg
P-47 Build No 2 041.jpg
P-47 Build No 2 049.jpg
P-47 Build No 2 059.jpg
P-47 build 2 066.JPG
P-47 build 2 083.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread