**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47D - Thunderbolts and Lightnings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.
I'm still plodding on, adding missing detail to the cockpit, and should have some up-date pics, possibly later today, or sometime tomorrow.

BTW, Geo mentioned that the spare cockpit parts I'm using, which I'd stated were from an Academy kit, looked like Hasegawa parts. Geo is correct, I checked my Academy and Hasegawa kits, and they are, indeed from Hasegawa. The equivalent Academy parts have more detail.

What's been done to date in the cockpit area, and the supercharger exhaust.

I felt that the seat was too close to the control column base, so the seat mount was shaved back, allowing the seat itself to be located slightly further aft.
The trim wheel, landing gear lever and an electrical box have been added to the port side wall, using plastic tube, rod and card.
Trunking and fuel gauges have been added to the cockpit floor.
A sliver of plastic tube has been fitted inside the supercharger exhaust shroud, to represent the supercharger fan housing - very basic, but "good enough", as it will only just be seen.
The waste gate exhaust was moulded solid, so this has been cut open, and will be "sheeted over", along with the joint in the supercharger shroud "tunnel", once the fuselage halves are joined, using thin plastic card.

P-47 build 2 005.JPG
P-47 build 2 009.JPG
P-47 build 2 007.JPG
P-47 build 2 010.JPG
P-47 build 2 014.JPG

Thanks chaps. It's rather slow and uncomfortable work, as my hands are as stiff as last week's bread !

Anyway, a little more progress away from the cockpit that needed attention before continuing.
I noticed that the inner wall of the wheel bays, at the wing roots, are "plain", and there should be a depression here, to allow the tyre to fit (see the first pic).
This was created by drilling a few holes, cutting through these, and then trimming and chamfering the edges. Once relatively smooth, the hole was then covered on the inside with a piece of plastic card.
The result is by no means perfect, but once primed, painted and dirtied a bit, it should look OK.

I hope to get a lot more done on the cockpit tomorrow, and possibly get the fuselage halves joined.

D Day DX Fuji 056.jpg
P-47 build 2 016.JPG
P-47 build 2 018.JPG
P-47 build 2 020.JPG
P-47 build 2 022.JPG

Thanks very much for your interest chaps.

After umpteen hours of checking measurements, test fitting, re-checking and some "butchery", with hands and wrists now quite uncomfortable, I'm now very close to getting the cockpit completed.
The finished result will be a combination of kit parts, some 'spare' parts, and some adaptation and scratch-building, with, I hope, some reasonable (brush) painting.
There's still a lot to do, but the basics are now sorted, and I hope to get this finished over the weekend, and get the fuselage closed up, given the painting works out and dries in time (all paints are enamels, from Humbrol, and Revell, mixed as needed).
The cockpit Dull Dark Green was mixed initially using RLM 70 from Revell, with some Humbrol No.25 Blue added and, although this was probably pretty close to the "real thing", it looked rather dark in this scale A second mix was then tried, again with the Humbrol Blue, but this time using RLM 71 from Revell. It's perhaps still a little dark, but it's going to have to do. ( I'll try to get better lighting, and use a different camera, for the next batch of pics !)
Once the basic painting has fully hardened, some detail painting will be done, the cockpit parts assembled, and scratch-built items added, such as throttle and prop levers etc., before installing the completed cockpit and joining the fuselage halves.

The pics below show how things look at the moment, and I hope to post another update over the weekend.
Thanks again for looking in, and for the positive comments - now, where's that Cabernet Sauvignon................

P-47 build 2 023.JPG
P-47 build 2 028.JPG
P-47 build 2 031.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back