**** DONE: GB-56 1/72 XP-72 - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I'm not ready to toss it out yet but decided to take a break from it today and have been working on the tail decals. I'm keeping my options open by making decals for both prototypes, the 4 blade as well as the 6 blade prop.
I made them up in Paint, drawing them pixel by pixel taking an hour or so to do. I will still need to size them before printing them on decal film, but there's plenty of time for that

1 36599.jpg
2 36598.jpg
serial.gif

Nice. But a note though .. the digits "7' and "2" of the "XP72" for the 36598 have the small bar connectors while the 36599 didn't. The enlarged shot shows it better. So you need two variants of the "XP72" markings depending on which one are you going to make.

Clipboard01.jpg

Oh Glenn, had that resin Swiss cheese effect on a build many years back and was wondering when you started this build if you would come across the same problem. The filler solution worked on the deeper holes but I had to use thick CA glue to fill the shallow ones with a lot of sanding. The decal template looks great. A bit of a tip if I may, I've found the decal prints to be quite thin the colour not so deep so made duplicates and applied both to the model, one on top of the other which gave greater depth to the colour. :D

Nice. But a note though .. the digits "7' and "2" of the "XP72" for the 36598 have the small bar connectors while the 36599 didn't. The enlarged shot shows it better. So you need two variants of the "XP72" markings depending on which one are you going to make.
Thanks, I didn't notice that. I made the first one up for 36599, the one with the counter rotating prop because that's the one I plan on doing at this point. I then copy and pasted it and changed the last 9 to an 8 without looking at it close enough, just in case I had to switch for some reason. Nothing is printed yet so it's an easy fix.

Edit: Now that I look it closer, I see that the 2 is a completely different shape and the 8 has horizontal bar connectors as well as the vertical ones I put in. No problem, just a bit more to do.

Last edited:
Oh Glenn, had that resin Swiss cheese effect on a build many years back and was wondering when you started this build if you would come across the same problem. The filler solution worked on the deeper holes but I had to use thick CA glue to fill the shallow ones with a lot of sanding. The decal template looks great. A bit of a tip if I may, I've found the decal prints to be quite thin the colour not so deep so made duplicates and applied both to the model, one on top of the other which gave greater depth to the colour. :D
I've been working on it and have it mostly done with thick CA, just a small hole left here and there.
As far as the decals I've done that before and will do it again this time again. As a matter of fact, I think it was you who gave me the idea way back when, although it may have been Terry. The memory begins to slip.......

Bacon for all your effort.......... pixel by pixel good lord man!
You deserve the Gold Star.
It's a sure cinch them resin parts was poured by hand
and Not put in a vacuum to remove that porosity!!!!
It's okay if parts don't have to be whittled down to fit.

Thanks, I didn't notice that. I made the first one up for 36599, the one with the counter rotating prop because that's the one I plan on doing at this point. I then copy and pasted it and changed the last 9 to an 8 without looking at it close enough, just in case I had to switch for some reason. Nothing is printed yet so it's an easy fix.

Edit: Now that I look it closer, I see that the 2 is a completely different shape and the 8 has horizontal bar connectors as well as the vertical ones I put in. No problem, just a bit more to do.

:thumbright:

Glenn, Kudos to you for trying to make the best out of a bad situation with those bubbly and misshaped resin parts. looks like you might needs some plastic strip/card in certain areas. Maybe also try some Sprue Goo for filler. With your talents I am sure you will get this one looking respectable.

I've been working on the exhaust indents on either side of the fuselage using needle files and sand paper. The resin kit had these wrongly molded into the cowling which had to be filled. I ordered the surface primer that George suggested so I'm now on hold until it arrives.

PC203873.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back