**** DONE: GB-56 1/72 XP-72 - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An alternative would be to make your own surface primer, by using your preferred clear coat, or white or light grey paint, and stir in some talcum powder, until you have a "heavy" but fluid "goo" - I call this porridge, and use it for this kind of problem, and filling very narrow joints etc.
Note that this works best with enamel paint / varnish, is still fairly good with acrylics, but does not work very well if using Johnson's Klear/Future.
Apply a generous layer over the affected area, using a paint brush, and allow to fully harden, preferably for at least 12 hours. Once hard, it can be sanded easily, and any "pin holes" can be filled with a further coat if needed.
This is a "traditional" technique used to fill the grain on balsa wood, and I've used it for over fifty years when making balsa masters to mould clear canopies or other styrene parts ( the master is given a number of gloss clear coats to finish, in order to present a glass-smooth surface).
Hope this helps.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I've been spending the last few days still fighting these bubbles in the resin.
Fill with CA, file and sand. More bubbles surface. Repete. Repeat. Surface primer, sand. Repeat. Repete. Repete. and it is finally done, as much as I can do anyway, so I glued on the cowling.
Here are some pictures showing all the filled bubbles. There is also a conversion kit for a P-47J from this same person which I really wanted to get to finish off my collection of Thunderbolts, but I don't think I can now and keep my sanity.

PC243874.JPG
PC243875.JPG
PC243876.JPG
PC243877.JPG
PC243878.JPG
PC243879.JPG

Thanks guys
With all the filling and sanding out of the way it feels like this will finally be moving forward, but it will be on hold all this coming week as I will be out of town.
One last thing done; I made the exhaust flaps out of beer can aluminum which had just the right curve to match the fuselage. It feels good for something to go right the first time on this build.

PC253880.JPG

Now that the fuselage modification are out of the way things should be easier.
I removed and shortened one gun from each wing, closed up the ejection ports from the removed guns, finished cleaning up the wing joints, added the bomb shackles, and lastly glued the wings to the fuselage. The fit was pretty good, just a bit of filler needed on the bottom starboard wing between the gear well and the leading edge.

20230105_054807.jpg
20230105_054833.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back