**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Spitfire MK.XVIe Low-back - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lordy..................... keep at it I think you will win..........
Still have to find one-o-them clamps.

Thanks all. Second wing upper glued in place. Any little bits of stretched sprue and styrene card they were't battened down onto my workbench were sucked up and glued into the large wing root gaps.
23031401.jpg

So lots of sanding and filling to come.....

First of many gooping sessions has started. Tamiya Surface Primer.

23031501.jpg
23031502.jpg
23031503.jpg

The hole in the bottom of the radiator bath is my attempt (unsuccesful) to push up the upper wing chord to match the wing root fairing. The step in this area has aready been rough-filed away. Also, I realized to my momentary horror that I forgot to add a means of support for the exhaust stubs before gluing on the lower engine cowl. Fortunately, I had already dry-fit some spare Eduard stubs that are quite tight so all that will be needed is a little glue on the press-fit.

I won't post the boring touch-ups and filing/sanding steps before something more exciting comes along so it may be several days before you see anything new here. Thanks for your continued interest and patience.

PS: I need to check if that moulded ground starter hatch in the port wing root fairing should be there. If anyone knows for sure, let me know, otherwise I'll report back on anything I find.

Mudding madness continues and I include here an upadte to show a little more of what's happening.

The combination of white plastic and aging eyes caused me to miss what turned out to be a larger-than-expected step at the lower cowl joint on the port side. Putty is always my last resort but this time I had not other option.

23031701.jpg

So, more smoothing work is needed and that's continuing daily.

In other news, I've decided to go with the clipped wings on DN-A, contrary to the depictions in Bracken's book and on the decal sheet profile. If the decals prove troublesome, I'll do 2I-V. I trial fitted the kit wing tips and agree with one criticism I read of this kit that the tips are a little too rounded.

23031703.jpg

I have a spare set of Eduard tips so tried those. I just noticed the blurry pic below now that I've uploaded it but you get the idea. Though the tip is truer to the correct shape, ICM's wing is much thicker at this location so there would be a sizeable step on both the top and underside of the wing if I went this route.

23031702.jpg

So, I will use ICM's tips but will shave the outer edges down a bit. Thanks for your continued interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back