**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Bf 109G-6/R6 with FuG 350 Naxos - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
Username: Mainly28s
First name: Olaf
Category: Beginner-ish- Mostly OoB
Manufacturer: Eduard & Airmodel
Model: 82111X Messerschmitt Bf 109G Late Model Overtrees & AMLA4858 Resin Conversion kit
Scale: 1:48
Extras: Hopefully none, as the conversion kit contains the required decals. I might have to raid the spares box for national insignia, as the overtrees kit has none. It will be brush-painted, as I don't have access to an airbrush.

Even though this is not specifically on the list of aircraft H-W Lerche flew (there are only a couple of '109s specifically listed- the bulk are just assumed), it was stationed at an airfield he could have visited, so I'll chalk this one up to a "what-if-he-flew-it" as a palate-cleanser after my SM.79.

This particular aircraft was assigned to 1/NJGr 10 for testing, at Werneuchen, a few miles from Rechlin. The Naxos installation was designed to locate H2S-equipped Pathfinder bombers.

PXL_20230518_152757233.jpg
AMLA4858.jpg

(Edited title to correct version of '109)

Last edited:
Will watch with interest Olaf. I'm curious how they would have crammed a radar display in such a tight cockpit. It must have been a simple device for a pilot to operate.
From what I know, the CRT was mounted on the instrument panel above the artificial horizon, the screen was only 3ins in diameter.

Possibly a step too far for my hand/eye coordination!

The best part (for me, anyway) is that it's simply a hole to be drilled in the spine, with a bit of work on the instrument panel (for those braver than I).

I also already have a subject for the next night fighter build- the '109 with Neptun.

And today's progress- as far as I can go without the Naxos bits:
View attachment 722201

The wings, wheels, prop and canopy are just sat in place while I wait, as the parcel was apparently sent to the wrong distribution centre!
Bit like our post. Order a delivery from Melbourne (down south) and it will be shipped to Sydney (up north) bypassing Canberra on route (in the middle) shuffled around distribution centre's in Sydney to get to the jump off point for shipment to Canberra. I always ask the question: Why not drop of in Canberra on the way through, its only a simple hours diversion. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back