**** DONE: Unofficial Bf 109-x GB: 1/48 Bf 109G-6

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Tamiya (kit 25204)
Model: Bf 109 G-6
Scale: 1/48

I had built this same model with Tamiya's non-kubelwagen kit, number 61117, having entered it in the GB-55 competition. A build I really enjoyed, especially having the open engine option. So, I will build again but with the Yellow 1 markings. Hoping too have had my skills improved enough to present a more refined build this time; engine open again and cockpit detailing.

Tamiya 25204.JPG

JG54 Yellow 1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Ralph.

Still waiting for the spare "tall" tail section from Karl, then I can plan and start on the 2-seat Buchon conversion. Just hoping it hasn't gone astray in the mail, as Karl sent it on Wednesday last week !

Here is the image but of a better quality. Please disregard the spot on the swastika. Just somebody photoshoped that to hide the marking for reasun you know.

View attachment 752316
the source: Skin 4k Bf 109 G-6
Thank you. Will help when applying the camo patches. No guarantee I'll get them in the right places (or size) but not having the info will not be an excuse!

And the swastika...still unlawful to send (or have) images?? Not saying 'get over it', but it seems very similar to the cancel culture mentality of some here in the US, to erase history; Civil War realities for instance.

Here is the image but of a better quality. Please disregard the spot on the swastika. Just somebody photoshoped that to hide the marking for reasun you know.

View attachment 752316
the source: Skin 4k Bf 109 G-6
The blue tail band? I looks to have been applied (painted) after the camo was done to the fuselage sides? If so, do you think the blue tail band coating would have been a opaque enough cover to to hide the camo blotches.? Or, the blotches would have shown through ( a little)?

And the swastika...still unlawful to send (or have) images?? Not saying 'get over it', but it seems very similar to the cancel culture mentality of some here in th

It is a pain point still.

I could say more but that would get in an instant intrest i could do without. Some out there go to great lenghts to mess up the sort of history we here all talk about.

Some ffing wings with a motor and some colours. Thats it. I am not sitting in my bunker with my stalhhelm up in Berlin.
I like planes. And it happened. I am not goose stepping out of my porch just because it has an emblem on it.
I am very aware it was solid evil. As anyone here, has more then a grasp. See what education among peers can do.

Ok tiny rant over.

No it not illegal to mail decals with. Only Germany has more or less strickt rules, cant show it on a model website but sending to a friend is ok.

The blue tail band? I looks to have been applied (painted) after the camo was done to the fuselage sides? If so, do you think the blue tail band coating would have been a opaque enough cover to to hide the camo blotches.? Or, the blotches would have shown through ( a little)?

I agree the band was painted in the squadron over the earlier applied camo in a factory rather. But it doesn't look like the camo can be noticed throught that. However , depending on the blue paint type and the thickness of the coat it could be possible.

And the swastika...still unlawful to send (or have) images?? Not saying 'get over it', but it seems very similar to the cancel culture mentality of some here in the US, to erase history; Civil War realities for instance.

Just there are countries where the sign is/may be forbidden to be shown publicly. Eg. the Germany. But IMHO ... Let's not get paranoid.

Thought I'd spend some time on getting the seat belts correct, I did find one photo that was most helpful in understanding how the material and the hardware worked together.

109 seat belts.jpg

Then I tried to interpret using the scale material that I had. First pass. At the rate that it took to do this one I'm glad I specified 6 months build time. Also glad there aren't two or more seats! Close up photos are killers, but there are some areas that could be cleaned up and improved on.

seat belt trial.jpg

Gonna be under glass and three feet away Ralph. Better than any I have done to date
Thank you George. Actually obsessed now. Short of cutting a section out of the bed sheets for some fine knit fabric I'm going to look at what will be a suitable alternative to using masking tape. I believe a realistic belt can be made with actual cloth. Will be trying anyway. The posted above is with masking tape and not quite what I'm striving for; to stiff and crude looking. The above was, I wanted to see if the adjust folds and the links and latches (as good as I can make them) are close enough for realism.

Ralph, I took a trip to our local haberdashery store Spotlight and picked up some very fine, thin material that I have used for one of my models (see attached). the store sold me a 10cm wide 1m long strip for 20cents, would you like a bit to try it out.

20230812 2.JPG

:D

Assuming the 'leather' straps are the results. Very impressive. Those and the hardware, latches and such. What material allowed that tight of bends? Or I'm not understanding the scale? As for the cloth offer, given the efficiencies of both the US and Australian postal services I'm afraid the build will be over before I could get it! But thanks anyway, I think I have some good options already. Will know in a day or two.

May actually have to take Vic up on his offer for a piece of the 'very fine material'? Tried the finest I could find around the house. Looked really 'fine'! A laundry info tag out of a pair of sweat pants.

tag.jpg

But on CLOSE inspection, maybe not fine enough?

tag seat belt.jpg

Here is the belt laid into the seat assembly for scale compare. The belts look kind of OK until photographed, then they spring their fuzzes. Looks like a trip to Hobby Lobby and their cloth department may be in order?

seat belt.jpg

This is what is on offer Ralph and as you can see it is just on 0.4mm thick which may be a tad too thick for what you are trying to achieve. If you take the thickness against PE, the PE is just over 0.14mm thick which is about the same thickness as the label material you have used. So in realty if your trying to get down to a true scale you have about achieved what is physically possible in that respect.

DSCN0192.JPG

This is what is on offer Ralph and as you can see it is just on 0.4mm thick which may be a tad too thick for what you are trying to achieve. If you take the thickness against PE, the PE is just over 0.14mm thick which is about the same thickness as the label material you have used. So in realty if your trying to get down to a true scale you have about achieved what is physically possible in that respect.

View attachment 752666
The tag material measures 0.1mm so should be thin enough? Just the weave pattern is really bold. I coated with thinned down clear school glue hoping to reduce the fizzing. Close but the glue reduced the flexibility. Onwards. Still interested to know how, what you used, for metal components. Look amazingly realustic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back