**** DONE: Unofficial Bf 109-x GB: 1/48 Bf 109G-6

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The tag material measures 0.1mm so should be thin enough? Just the weave pattern is really bold. I coated with thinned down clear school glue hoping to reduce the fizzing. Close but the glue reduced the flexibility. Onwards. Still interested to know how, what you used, for metal components. Look amazingly realustic!
The were a combination of plastic and PE which all came with the kit.Oh! and the scale was 1/12 so quite large. :D

Fabric stores sell a micro-weave material very similar to the stuff used by HGW for their 1/32nd scale seat belts.
This doesn't always work so well in smaller scales, so I tend to use wine bottle foil, or similar foil from various packaging for 1/48th scale, with fine plastic rod, fuse wire and lead wire for the hardware, and where needed, punched plastic or cut rod for circular quick-release buckles.
If smaller than 1/32nd scale, any weave/texture will not be noticed, so I just paint the foil the required colour.

Found a keeper material. Looked at yet a different pair of sweat pants in the closet and low and behold a nice tight weave. Very minor fuzzing when cut. Now I need to improve on my hardware forming skills. I dabbed on some Vallejo desert sand wash to try and get a close color match. Meh! Does create some wear, handling, highlights though.

Getting better (faster). Only took about 1-1/2 hours to create this single belt. 5-1/2 months to go though!

new tag seat belt.jpg

After posting I noticed the 'belt' detail in the back canopy cockpit area. Probably aught to be colored as well? Leather brown like the control stick boot? Or a canvas color strap to represent a cloth material? Of course it probably will never be seen....but. And of course the metal hardware to be detailed as well.

belt color.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back