Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne, your quality of finish always looks amazing - why can I never quite get things that good?

I have a pair of Badger 155's, a good compressor (ie: not something from Bunnings), use a regulator and water trap; I always use the specified thinners, unless better advice is received (ie, MM Lacquer thinners to thin MM enamels). I am anal about cleaning and for the last few months have been lub'ing the airbrushes with WD40 after cleaning. I have a custom little spray booth, good lighting, etc... And still, I cant quite get such perfect looking coverage!

D

Wayne, your quality of finish always looks amazing - why can I never quite get things that good?

I have a pair of Badger 155's, a good compressor (ie: not something from Bunnings), use a regulator and water trap; I always use the specified thinners, unless better advice is received (ie, MM Lacquer thinners to thin MM enamels). I am anal about cleaning and for the last few months have been lub'ing the airbrushes with WD40 after cleaning. I have a custom little spray booth, good lighting, etc... And still, I cant quite get such perfect looking coverage!

D

Thankyou Sir...well I have an old fridge compressor, regulator Airtrap and a $50 cheapie dual action (copy of someone's model)airbrush....I DO clean out my airbrush completely after every session...i just seem to get things right with the tamiya acrylic range and their thinner. Occasionally i have a hiccup but soon work through it and move on. been doing it a while now so I guess time and experience must help a lot...
Started masking up the tail so the black band will happen on the weekend, not sure whatelse though....

Little bit more done...Black Band and RLM76 on the lower side of the Ailerons.

Attachments

• 18_Black Band_0547.jpg
    18_Black Band_0547.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 19_RLM76 ailerons_0551.jpg
    19_RLM76 ailerons_0551.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20_RLM76 Ailerons_0534.jpg
    20_RLM76 Ailerons_0534.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 70
Thanks Guys, even lightly sprayed the Silver for the NMF finish on the lower wings and it showed some areas that need further work so stopped the spraying and will do some more sanding work to improve the surface finish before doing the Silver again....

Black 10 2/JG26

resprayed the Mithril Silver on the lower wing today....the rework of the sanding scrubbed up ok...

Attachments

• 22_Silver NMF lower Surface_0625.jpg
    22_Silver NMF lower Surface_0625.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 23_Silver NMF lower surface_0636.jpg
    23_Silver NMF lower surface_0636.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 67
This Dora-phile just found this thread.

FWIW, here's an Eduard D-11 I did some number of moons ago. Custom paint job and markings. Any weathering is dust and spiderwebs. Poor quality of picture due to cheap phone camera.

For an Eduard kit, it went together pretty well (unlike, strangely enough, the D-13 from the same box. Go figure.)

Anyway:

FW 190D 11 IV JG26.jpg

Nice work guys, i finished the mottling and un taped it the tape has been on for awhile but came off with no problems and I got the exhaust painted.

001_zpsbe026844.jpg

002_zpsc674e4ca.jpg

Great stuff guys.

I've found the Eduard kits to be very much dependant on care taking with aligning parts and ensuring that things are glued at the correct angles before closing the fuselage. Slight variations between builds can seem like issues with the kit.

Getting real close Jerry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back