Douglas A-20 Havoc

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

V-1710

Airman 1st Class
Nov 8, 2005
One of my favorites, but a plane somewhat forgotten. I have heard it was a real joy to fly.

syscom3 said:
I think it was the A26 that was used in Vietnam

The A-26 was used In Viet Nam, the A-20 was one of those aircraft that disappeared quickly after WW2. There is one at Fox Field, Lancaster Ca., at a small museum there, it was a converted executive hack supposedly used by Howard Hughes.

Interesting A-20 trivia: The fuselage was too narrow to permit the crew to change positions in flight. Early A-20's had flight controls in the dorsal gunner's compartment. In the event that the gunner had to fly the plane, he opened the canopy, swiveled and raised his seat, and looked through a small folding windshield. Early A-20's also had a dorsal gunner's position, basically consisting of a window in the floor and a .30 cal.. The A-20 was also the basis of the U.S.A.A.C.'s first successful night fighter, the P-70.

I dont think the A20 was the basis of the P61.

Totally different airframe, engines, avionics and design philosophy between Douglas and Northrup.

I would agree to say that the P70 was the interim night fighter untill the P61 could be deployed.

Is there really a difference between the A20, and the P70, except for armament of course? I know there were different nose configurations, but the P70 was basically the A20. It was like the Germans using earlier civillian transport aircraft as bombers by modifying them to one degree, or another. :glasses7: javascript:emoticon(':glasses7:')
glasses7

syscom3 said:
I dont think the A20 was the basis of the P61.

Totally different airframe, engines, avionics and design philosophy between Douglas and Northrup.

I would agree to say that the P70 was the interim night fighter untill the P61 could be deployed.

Yep, and although Northrop and Douglas work on a lot of projects together (Jack Northrop worked for Douglas at one time) by the time the P-61 was on the scene they were competitors. As a matter of fact the A-20 was one of the first Ed Heinerman designs.

I believe the P-61 was designed by Vladimir H. Pavlecka.

And for you Southern California Boys - the test pilot on the A-20 was a fellow by the name of John Cable - his dad founded Cable airport. He was killed in an A-20....

mandoman said:
Is there really a difference between the A20, and the P70, except for armament of course? I know there were different nose configurations, but the P70 was basically the A20. It was like the Germans using earlier civillian transport aircraft as bombers by modifying them to one degree, or another. :glasses7: javascript:emoticon(':glasses7:')
glasses7

The USAAF was planning to put a search radar in the A-20 about the time Northrop made a proposal to the AAF for what would become the P-61. I believe the P-70 had the same radar in it as the P-61, but they were two distinct aircraft, and ther P-70 never really influenced the P-61.

Hi guys, thought I would post these pics of a restored Boston owned by the RAAF Museum. I remember seeing this old girl being restored at RAAF base Amberley some years back.

Attachments

• e30_523.jpg
    e30_523.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 862
  • e31_631.jpg
    e31_631.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,139
  • e32_129.jpg
    e32_129.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 895
Nice shots Wildcat!! They did a great job on her restoration. If I'm not mistaken she is painted up like the Havoc/ Boston depicted in the old Revelle 1/72nd kit...

syscom3 said:
FLYBOYJ said:
.....If I'm not mistaken she is painted up like the Havoc/ Boston depicted in the old Revelle 1/72nd kit...

:lol:

I remember that kit!

Revelle and Monogram made the best models! Followed by Aurora and then Lindberg Line.

Yep! :lol: I bought 2 or 3 of them so I could build each version!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back