Douglas A-20 Havoc

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heres what the RAF Turbinlite A20's looked like.

Attachments

• turbinelite_1a_693.jpg
    turbinelite_1a_693.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 5,033
  • turbinelite_2a_936.jpg
    turbinelite_2a_936.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 522
thats a little overkill for a landing light :shock: did the crew have special goggles? and any cloud would certainly be a hoot

Great shots of the Turbinlite!

I've been looking for pictures of one of those for years now.

The P-70 (the USAAF night fighter version of the A-20) may have had a decent chance of being successful if they would have put turbo-superchargers on them. Same thing for the Navy's Venturas. The P-61A and B also didn't have turbo-superchargers and it was finally put on for the P61-C. I don't understand why they didn't install the turbo-superchargers on earlier aircraft.

Yep, and although Northrop and Douglas work on a lot of projects together (Jack Northrop worked for Douglas at one time) by the time the P-61 was on the scene they were competitors. As a matter of fact the A-20 was one of the first Ed Heinerman designs.

My reference indicate that the Douglas 7B (Prototype of the A-20) was originally a Northrop design which was finished by Heinemann.

Always struck me as an odd system. In the time it would take you to line up a bomber with the light you could've fired hundreds of rounds into it with the regular nose

Don't forget that the A-20 was an important part of the Soviet AF too, I think we sent about 3,000+ to Russia. I was on a trip to Russia last summer, I looked for any of the Bostons that were sent over there, but they don't keep lend-lease on display, only Russian stuff

The P-70 (the USAAF night fighter version of the A-20) may have had a decent chance of being successful if they would have put turbo-superchargers on them. Same thing for the Navy's Venturas. The P-61A and B also didn't have turbo-superchargers and it was finally put on for the P61-C. I don't understand why they didn't install the turbo-superchargers on earlier aircraft.

The original P-70 was derived from the A-20 (without letter) that was to be the turbosupercharged high-altitude version of A-20 (vs A-20A medium altitude). The engines had cooling troubles, I don't know if they were deployed in combat zones.
The later versions P-70A and P-70B were derived from A-20C and G, and I believe that they didn't have turbosupercharged engines.
Any info about engine types of P-70A/B and early P-70?

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back