Douglas Bader Hurricane Mk I

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

brucejscott

Staff Sergeant
May 8, 2011
Williamsport, Pa
Today, while flipping thru an old issue of RAF Flying Review, I ran across an article about the legless RAF ace Douglas Bader. Quite frankly, I had forgotten all about him (shame on me). He was one of the first flyers I had ever read about as a child. This got me inspired to build his Canadien 242 Squadron Hurricane Mk I. So I guess what I am asking is, what manufacturer makes the best 1/48th Hurricane Mk I and does anybody make decals for his particular mount LE@D V7467? Thanks.

If you can still get it, the Hasegawa Hurricane Mk1 is the best one around. If not, then probably the old Airfix kit, which is a bit basic by today's standards, but still acceptable. Ark models also have a 'new' kit, which seems to be a mix of Hasegawa and Airfix!
There were a number of decal sheets available covering this aircraft, with more released last year for the 70th anniversary of the BoB, although off hand I can't remember who did what! Karl (Rochie) will probably know, as I think he has one of the sheets. Alternatively, you could use just the code letters and serial numbers from code/serial sheets, but of course you'd have to either paint, or make a decal for, the nose art.

Andy's got it skymodels were the only ones i could find, you can get them from Hannants as well.

i still plan on doing Bader and Mcknight's Hurricanes together

Thanks for the leads guys. I found the skymodels decals but not in 1/48. It looks like Superscale did make a sheet, 48-383, but I think it is out of print. Does anybody know where I can buy one? This is starting to become a quest.

And a new kit about to hit the market, if it's not already there, is from Italeri, and includes McKnights aircraft. If unable to get the decals, then codes and serial numbers can be obtained from the relevant Xtradecal range.

You could go up a scale and do the PCM kit. It has a selection of decals including Bader's. In one of my rare forays away from the Luftwaffe I actually built one. A tricky kit but a good representation of a Hurricane.

PRQtrlge.gif

TOPlge.gif

Cheers
Steve

See also Peter's post in the 'A few more Future releases' thread (Post No. 175). Looks like a nice kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back